BeyondMenu stolen listing nightmare
1. Western Wok
2. 1311 N Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505
This 1 month long ordeal of trying to take back a listing has become a nightmare. 1 month ago, BeyondMenu stole our listing and changed its status to "Permanently closed". We reached out to support and it was explained to us that there was nothing they could do - we just needed to request ownership from back from the listing owner (BeyondMenu) & wait 7 days. What took place over the next 30+ days has caused me to lose all faith in Google's support and engineering team.
Day 1 (April 12). Listing stolen. No idea how. Google will not tell us. It's likely BeyondMenu lied about who they were and tricked one of the new employees into giving away the pin. Status set to Permanently Closed. We reach out to support. They tell us they cannot fix the restaurant status, and that we should just "suggest an edit". They explain there is nothing that can be done besides Requesting Ownership and waiting 7 days. We request ownership and wait 7 days.
Day 8. The Ownership request "disappears". It's back to displaying "Request Access". We open a support chat. The following transpires:
in 7 days, the same thing will happen
okay one moment please
im currently consulting your issue give me a few more minutes! ️
Okay so unfortunately we could not confirm affiliation with the business owner so you will need to work directly with the business owner to sort this issue out.
did you call them?
im literally working directly with the business owner
to get this fixed
he was the one that prompted me to fix this to begin with
I cannot discuss our internal processes
Unfortunately you will need to work with the owner, as i can no longer assist.
Day 9 (April 21): We re-request ownership and wait an additional 7 days.
Day 14 (April 26): We check the listing, and and there is now a "Claim" button at the top right of the listing. We click on it and request a post card.
Day 15 (April 27): We check the listing again to see if we can get a status update on the post card. We notice there is an option for phone verification, which is faster, so we opt-for that.
We open a chat with Google support specifically because we expected there to be an issue from previous experiences. While we have the support chat open, we enter the VALID code one time. We're prompted with the following:
We click "call again" and the whole thing disappears and the listing switches back to the "Request ownership" link again. The support rep instructs us that she will be reaching out to her advisory team and will be seeking manual verification.
Day 18 (April 30): We are informed that we just need to request ownership again. We open another support chat and it is explained to us that we should never rely on phone verification and only rely on the post card (huh - why is it even an option then?). Again, the fact that the system is not working correctly or is providing us with options that shouldn't be there is not our fault. Yet we are forced to wait another 7 days.
Day 22 (May 4): The claim button reappears in the listing, just like before. We click on it and request a post card, we wait 5 days.
Day 28 (May 10): Post card arrived last night. We're ready to put in the code, but we want to do it during a screen share with Google support, in case anything goes wrong. We send screen shots of the post card displaying both the address and pin:
We put it the code, and once again get the "wrong code" message. This literally happens while were screen sharing with support.
After speaking with an engineer and rep informs us that there is nothing else that can be done. What?????????????????????
He acts indignant and tells us to just request ownership again. We're stuck. Massively frustrated, we open another support chat and speak to another rep. He tells us the same thing. Amazingly, none of the reps seem to be even mildly cognizant of why we would be frustrated. Telling us to request ownership again and expect a different result is insane. The reps next "best suggestion" was to just delete our listing all together and start over. We comply. We are once again, waiting another 7 days.
At face value, it should be glaringly obvious how broken Google support is. They regularly admit to being aware of who BeyondMenu is, and yet, when BeyondMenu steals a listing, they making in inexplicably nigh impossible to take it back. It's become almost comedic at this point. Their verification is also clearly not working properly, and this Invalid Code issue has happened multiple times. You cannot punish a restaurant owner because your own system is buggy or prone to exploitation.
The google support reps have denied it, but I'm confident BeyondMenu is doing something behind the scenes (with the API or something) to "disjoint" the claiming process so the code that comes in the mail or via phone is not correct code. They definitely exploited the Ownership request process before. Maybe they delete the listing after its been claimed and re-request verification on their end. It's impossible to say because I am not privy to the information Google is - but something is definitely wrong.
I really wish a Google engineer could read this because its not just happening with Western Wok. At some point the needs to be a policy change or a system bugfix because this is not tenable. You cannot allow BeyondMenu to hold listings hostage for months at a time.