AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

BeyondMenu Hijacking prevention

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @TomW

As you know, the situation with BeyondMenu is out of control, with so many businesses constantly hijacked.

I just received today another attempt by email to get rights for the GMB listing, by telling Google they were the owners of the restaurant. While I rejected it right away, I know that they will not stop - and all it takes is a moment of distraction from me or my employees to go back to the nightmare of gaining control back.

To save you guys at Google and us, small business owners, a lot of aggravation and work, would it be possible to start banning the people who stole ownership before and keep trying to steal it now?

Screen name: Ashley Washington

Email: ashleywashington80618@gmail.com

Screen name: Kevin Chen Walker

Email: awalker52463@gmail.com

These are the only 2 emails that were constantly used to hijack my profile (and most likely many others).

I know it's not a solution, but it's a start, as Google figures out a better way to keep these scammers at bay.

I would also strongly suggest that Google stops verifying businesses without the code in the mail - just a phone call is not secure enough.

Please let me know if you need any info/help from me, and please keep me posted on any development on any new Google procedures to go after these bad people.

My name is Gabriel Formento and I can be reached at either hello@freshfromhellcom or hello@hkgoodness.com

The business info is:

Fresh from hell

326 W 47th Street

New York

646 337 5256 / 212 956 4355

freshfromhell.com (the only official one)

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great post Gabriel. The problem with BeyondMenu is they are always using different emails & usernames to request ownership of listings so there is no easy way to immediately identify that the ownership request is coming from them.

The best thing Google could do (for now) is provide a quick and simple channel/process for reclaiming listings from BeyondMenu once they've been hijacked. It is extremely easy to determine it's BeyondMenu once they steal the listing because they always point the website link to their standard BeyondMenu/Kaydia template - so it should be equally easy to reclaim the listing. Having to spend hours on the phone with GMB support (most of whom are completely out of the loop on BeyondMenu for some reason) is completely absurd and unnecessary. Make this process easy for the victims, not the perpetrators!

Re: BeyondMenu Hijacking prevention

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @Gabriel F

I will pass along the info you provided but really we need a better way to return hijacked listings to the rightful owner, and a better way to prevent BeyondMenu from hijacking them in the first place. For now, anyone dealing with this issue should be able to get help in the forum and get it resolved pretty quick.

Google is aware of the situation and we remind them of it often. I'm hopeful they are working on a better solution to keep listings out of the hands of BeyondMenu and other third parties that are doing similar tactics. 

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you @TomW for your prompt reply, as always - your help in this forum is tangible and so much appreciated.

I highlighted those 2 emails because in the past 20 months of attempts from Beyondmenu, those were the only 2 they used. For sure they can use multiple ones; but banning those address for improper use could send a first message. I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Chen is the actual name of the person behind the email and a relative of the owner of the company, Leon Chen.

The sad part is that the knock-off website they created is still up, confusing my online costumers, and I'll have to pay expensive lawyers to take it down for copyright infringement (they stole my logo and my photos). Well, at least the google listing is now linked to the real one.

We all trust Google is working on a solution, and I can say on behalf of all the business owners involved that the support in this forum is priceless. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Gabriel

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Menu S

Absolutely - I think we're all on the same page here. Hopefully Google will devise a solution.

As for the emails, I mentioned to Tom that those 2 were the only ones they've been using so far, and while I understand they probably have hundreds of those addresses, I would still apply a ban every time an email is used to steal access through impersonation (in the request they claim to be the business owners).

Just because there are a lot of thieves, we shouldn't give up on addressing basic and plain violations like these; so the same reasoning should apply with each and every email used improperly.

Not a solution, I know. But a step in the right direction while we wait.

Gabriel