AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Best Practice for company acquisition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

We recently acquired a business that we are in the process of rebranding. I am curious on best practices on removing the current and setting up a new listing. 

The current business has lots of negative reviews so we do not want to keep the account unless someone has a reason why we should that I have not thought of.

Thanks for the support.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Tyler. Couple of questions. Answers might help determine best strategy.

Does the listing seem to rank well?

How many negative reviews?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The listing ranks well and the new listing would rank well. (there are no others businesses in a 50mi radius that target our keywords)

The current listing has 25 out 61 negative reviews 3.2 overall rating.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tyler,

I have not had to deal with this specific situation in my client work. However, as I understand it, the old business listing will not go away. Creating a new listing for a similar business at the same address would likely cause problems. In other words, Google might not display it.

Here's an older thread I found for a similar situation. I recommend following the advice there. Essentially, update your info, respond to all those negative reviews regarding what is happening and how you will do better, and focus on earning positive reviews going forward.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-Business-Owners/Client-changed-business-name-wa...

Also, keep in mind all the other business listings that will need the same treatment. Your situation could easily get messier.

Bill

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tyler, also meant to include some related info for Yelp, since it might also be relevant.

https://www.yelp-support.com/article/What-are-the-guidelines-for-substantial-business-changes?l=en_U...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for those resources Bill. I was really hoping to be able to start fresh but that does not look like the case. Off cuff would you know of any resources to keep us on the right direction of addressing issues?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here are a couple of resources you might find helpful: