AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Another Listing Stolen (by *surprise* BeyondMenu)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Our listing was just stolen today (AGAIN) by BeyondMenu, despite the fact that we rejected their ownership request just last week. They made the request through "Benjamin Chen", but the email is ahernandez38852@gmail.com, which is of course totally normal and legitimate *sarcasm*.

anotherbmlisting.jpg

The owner of Thai Touch is of course not Benjamin Chen or "ahernnandez". This is becoming untenable - at LEAST once a week we have a listing stolen, without any obvious indication how. Google, of course acknowledges the issue, but continues to allow beyondmenu to steal the listings without our knowledge. 

The business details are as follows:

1. Thai Touch

2. 1355 E Colorado St, Glendale, CA 91205

3. (818) 507-1107

4. https://goo.gl/maps/C5zK2QDap8v

5. http://thaitouchglendale.blizzfull.com/

To make matters worse, the process to get back the listings is even more difficult, which makes absolutely no sense. I'm literally still in the process of trying to take back another stolen BM listing (Safir Mediterranean) after posting about the conflict a week ago. How is this even a debate still? It takes less than 10 seconds to cross-check a listing to see if its been hijacked by BeyondMenu (google Thai Touch Glendale, then click the website link in the listing), and yet Google still makes the process incomprehensibly difficult to get it back. 

Please help. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Menu S
December

Re: Another Listing Stolen (by *surprise* BeyondMenu)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It's not entirely clear to me how they are stealing these listings. My best guess was that they trick unsuspecting employees who simply don't know better. Every owner I've talked to (several of which I'm very close with), have absolutely no recollection of dealing with anyone from Google or BeyondMenu, but somehow they had their listing stolen regardless.

Looks like they are already aggressively trying to take back a listing we just had escalated and re-verified. Check out the name of the requester and the email address they are using. How is Google allowing this?

lololbm.jpg

Seemingly, they have a robust automated system for spamming requests to hijack listings. They are extremely quick to re-request ownership once they lose the listing, and its always with a new completely unrelated gmail address. 

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Menu S,

As I understand, you are also a service like BeyondMenu?

But, unlike them you are a third party authorised by the business owner?

If yes, then I would recommend that you clearly mention this fact in the threads that you create. I refer to the initial line of your post "Our listing was just stolen today (AGAIN) by BeyondMenu".

In any case, I am not sure how BeyondMenu was able to transfer ownership of the listing to themselves.

But, even after the recent developments in the ownership request process, Google My Business Advertiser Community -> Automating Ownership Conflict for Individuals, they still has to demonstrate that they have ownership of the business, by entering the verification code sent to them, and by the other verification methods mentioned here: Google My Business Help -> Verify your local business listing on Google.

So, it is likely that they have access to the phone number on the listing, have claimed the website on search console, or are obtaining the verification code that has been mailed from the legitimate owner.

Please tell me if this doesn't make sense.

I would recommend that you request ownership from them, by following the instructions here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4566671?hl=en and if they are still able to circumvent your request, by adding you as a "Communications Manager", someone here should be able to escalate your case.

Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Menu S and @Time Lord

I do believe this thread was mistakenly merged with another so I split them back up.

I agree with Time Lord's advice but will go ahead and escalate this one now because it's yet another example of abuse by BeyondMenu.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Thanks @TomW.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to confirm that it has been escalated, because normally after a TC escalates the issue, the listing becomes verifiable within a few hours. Thanks for your help. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I did escalate it but it was on a Sunday and things are backed up a little more than usual. I would go ahead and request ownership from the account as Time Lord suggested, just to make sure that base is covered. I will let you know when I hear back.

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Looks like its been fixed! Thank you!

Seeing as they will, of course, request ownernship of the listing again in short time (seemingly automatically), is there a way to deal with this more proactively? Their whole business model is dependent on preying on unsuspecting restaurant employees with language barrier issues, so even if the restaurant owner completely understands not to cooperate with any company suspiciously asking for a Google pin, their employees frequently do not get the memo. 

Is the practical solution to do exactly what they do - set the suspect requester to a communications manager? (seems wrong) Or is it just to re-litigate this issue every 2-3 weeks?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Great @Menu S 

For now there's not a lot you can do except have us escalate it in here when it happens. The business owner should also be careful who has access to their phone systems and alert employees to not assist anyone with verification requests. Business owner really need to be sure employees do get that memo.

Did anyone give access to the business phone to any outside agency at any time? If so, who provided access when was access provided and how was access requested?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Menu S
December

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It's not entirely clear to me how they are stealing these listings. My best guess was that they trick unsuspecting employees who simply don't know better. Every owner I've talked to (several of which I'm very close with), have absolutely no recollection of dealing with anyone from Google or BeyondMenu, but somehow they had their listing stolen regardless.

Looks like they are already aggressively trying to take back a listing we just had escalated and re-verified. Check out the name of the requester and the email address they are using. How is Google allowing this?

lololbm.jpg

Seemingly, they have a robust automated system for spamming requests to hijack listings. They are extremely quick to re-request ownership once they lose the listing, and its always with a new completely unrelated gmail address. 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I would guess eatstreet, not beyondmenu based off that email address in your screenshot. And what's going on with the listing now? It looks like it is unverified. And the website it's linking to now is an eatstreet one.