3.8K members online now
Announcements from the Community Team!
Guide Me
favorite_border

Tip of the Month: Setting up Your Business Listing

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Congratulations on taking steps to get your business noticed online, and welcome to our Tip of the Month series! Our tips will be posted in the first week of each month, so keep an eye out for them as we move through the 6 month series!

The first step to establishing your online presence is to claim and verify your business listing. The most common way to verify your business is to request a postcard from Google with a code that is unique to your location. Please note, we recommend waiting to make edits to fields like address until after you have verified your business. After you receive the verification code, you’ll simply need to enter the code to complete verification.

Now that you’ve claimed and verified your listing, you can easily edit your business information and take steps to improve your local ranking.

If your business has been online for some time now, what advice would you provide to other business owners just starting out with their online presence? If you are newly creating your online presence, what are you most excited about with establishing your brand’s online identity?

5 Expert replyverified_user
Highlighted

Re: Tip of the Month: Setting up Your Business Listing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

One thing that might encourage new business owners to start, is to know where they can show up without much work. 

Once you make your brand new listing, there's a lot of things that can go into whether or not Google decides to show you. The competition can be fierce for the top spots, but there's two places that you'll start showing up right away without needing to do anything other than take the advice @ElizabethP gave above. 

The first place, is your business name. Within a day or two of having a profile verified and set up, anyone typing in your business name will start seeing a knowledge panel on the right for your business, showing pictures, business information, directions, location, hours, and (when you start gathering them) reviews. 

The second place you'll start showing up right away, is for anyone searching for your services from their phone that happen to be a few miles away. When people use Google on their phone, where they happen to be is a huge factor in what Google decides to display. Your new listing may not be able to show for everyone across the whole city, but you might be surprised how many people start finding you just because they happen to live a few miles down the road. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Thanks for the tip Liz. Good to see you guys doing tip of the month!

And really great additional points James.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This new feature is exciting. Finally some support from the GMB Team. Not sure how much information Local SEO power users will get out of this but it should be extremely helpful to everyone else.

@James made some great points above. In addition to what he mentioned, business owners will begin showing in G Maps and the Local finder.

Can't wait to see more tips!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

When I type the name of my company into the Google search engine, the google listing that comes up for our company has a few photos mixed in with our company photos that are not ours and actually for another industry all together. Is there a way we can prevent these photos from coming up with our listing?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Unfortunately, the local business photo setup right now in Google is a little fast and loose. In some industries it's even used pretty extensively for competitive spam. Tim Capper, one of the TCs here wrote a post about that recently. Unfortunately you'll just have to report them to get rid of them, and keep an eye on them so they don't come back. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I recently went through the process to establish an online presence for my business up to and including requesting the verification postcard. I have only just received the postcard today and now cannot find the listing I had set up and therefore cannot verify my business listing. Can you please point me in the right direction to finding my listing and actually verifying it? Regards Jen

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Jenny

Can you please start your own thread with your full business details.

This allows us to keep the forum organised and gives you the attention you need.

This ( https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB ) is our top level Community--from there, you can click into the board title that is most applicable for your issue. Once you're in an individual board, you can click on the red/pink + sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,
I'm having problems getting verified in the correct area and would like to be verified by phone.
How do I do this?
What is the contact number for google to do this?
I was able to call before and they were suppose to call me within 24-48 hours and they did not call me.

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This older "Solved" thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Google My Business Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

You may of course reference this older thread in your new post, if you wish.

When you post, please be sure to include the following information as well:

1. Full business name 

2. Current business address 

3. Current business telephone number 

4. Google+ URL 

Thank you.

Experts in the Topic
Linda Buquet
james w
PriyaC
ElizabethP
Buzzb