Announcements from the Community Team!
Guide Me
star_border

Manual Verification Process Update

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hey Google and Your Business Community Members,

The Google My Business support teams will be declining requests for manual verification starting next week. Operators will redirect and educate users towards the official validation methods and will no longer have the mandate to manually validate businesses, except in extreme cases.

It is necessary, per our policies, that users request a PIN from their GMB Dashboard and verify their business by entering the verification code they receive. The bulk verification process for businesses with 10 or more of same-type locations will remain the same. Learn more about that process here.

Postcards should arrive in one to two weeks from the moment they request verification. If the postcard doesn’t arrive in 14 days, the business owner can reach out to us, and we will further investigate the issue.

Q: Why do I have to wait for 14 days?

A: It is necessary, per our policies, to verify the business using the verification code provided in the postcard. We appreciate your patience while you wait for the postcard to arrive and would like to assure you that our teams continue to work hard to speed up postcard delivery.

Q: What if the postcard does not arrive in 14 days?

A: We appreciate your patience while you wait for your postcard to arrive. In the case of exceptional delays, if your postcard does not arrive in 14 days, feel free to reach out to us, so that we can investigate the delay and help you with your issue.

Q: I didn’t have to wait like this before?

A: From time to time, Google will take a look at its policies and update them as necessary. Our policy for verifying businesses globally is that businesses must use the verification code provided in the postcard (or phone call), unless there are exceptional circumstances. This is for the security and accuracy of Maps content and our users who require correct and useful information.

Let us know if you have any other questions about this update.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Marissa Nordahl, Community Manager, Google My Business
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Follow us on GMB on Social: Facebook | Twitter
5 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Manual Verification Process Update

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
We have had quite a few responses on this topic on the product forum, and wanted to provide you with a brief overview from Google in response to all of the questions. I hope that you find the information below from the product forum helpful!

Thanks for joining this discussion. We appreciate all of your suggestions and feedback on this update. We work hard to be sure that business information on Google Maps is accurate and helpful. By enforcing this policy, we are able to protect the accuracy and integrity of business information. We have reached out to the following users privately:

Susan L. Shangle, Jonathan Finegold, William Kammer, Betty Kwiatkowski, ahtnamas, Byron Gonzales, TOP MEXICO REAL ESTATE, Mr Michael Smith, Bill Gassman, Elaine Howell, neechee

As mentioned in these comments, Google will still support users who have followed the verification process but by extenuating circumstances have not received their postcard. In these cases, please contact our support team here.

Agencies need to be in touch with the business owners for verification, and we advise that the business owner always have access to their online listing. More about best practices for postcard verification can be found here.

Thanks again for your contributions to this discussion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there!

I waited for more than 14 days now still our business is not yet verified. The support service told to wait for 2 days and i can view our business location in the map but until now i did not yet received any email from them.

Please help to fix this issue. And please kindly advise me of what should do.

thank you.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You may not receive one.
Can you find your business on Google Maps if you search for the business name?

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Although I completely understand the reasoning/logic for this, I do think that Google needs to look at the reality in different countries and areas. In British Columbia Canada, all of the smaller towns and all of the rural areas do not get postal delivery to the business physical address. Canada Post will only deliver mail to the business PO Box. Any post addressed to the physical address will just be marked as undeliverable and never make it to the destination.

It is frustrating as an agency that is working to assist business in these locations that we are forced to go through the motions and have a paper post card sent out when we know 100% that it will only end up in a trash can some place, have to wait the 14 days, and then do the manual verification.

In cases like this, it is both environmentally irresponsible, and inefficient to be insisting that a paper post card be sent out first.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hey Alex,

I understand your frustrations and there are always exceptions that make things difficult but Google has to base the processes around the majority of businesses and the majority have no issues getting mail at their location. The system isn't perfect but if you saw how much spam gets added to Google on a regular basis you'd be fighting for stronger verification.

I'm not really sure how else Google can confirm a business is actually at the location since Street View doesn't always show and phone verification is even easier to spam.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joy, in the past with the manual verification, I would be asked to provide photos of the business store front, of business cards or even a copy of the business license with name and address on it. Those all seemed very good and reliable ways to combat the issue of spam.

But now, the option is to send a post card, and wait 14 days, then call for a phone verification that (so far) has NOT required those same levels of checks. Based on my experience so far with the new policy, it would have been quite easy for me to set up any fake business, wait the 14 days and then call and say the post card never came and have them verify it.. (in the 4 I have done this way since the change, none have requested photos or any sort of proof as they had in the past, although i did have it all prepared and ready )

I completely agree that some action needs to be done to stop the spammers, but this current solution seems to make it more difficult for legitimate business (especially in rural British Columbia) while only making it take longer , but actually easier for spammers to slip though..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elizabeth

I have register my business and is been 14 days but so far didn't receive any postcard.

Kindly help me to solve this problem
That's

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @SMB L

If it has been more than 14 days since you requested a postcard, then you'll need to get in touch with GMB support via one of these options: https://support.google.com/business/contactflow to ask for help in verifying your business.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same situation More then 14 days and i have called, have talk to people that speak half [censored] English every time i call they have game me different information so i have giving up on my local listing on google it's a waist of time