4.5K members online now
Announcements from the Community Team!
Guide Me
star_border

Keeping Your Location Status Up to Date

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

When one of your locations closes, you can now mark it as closed in the list view of Google My Business to keep users up-to-date about your business. You can also reopen a location if its status changes.

Multiple locations cannot be closed or reopened via spreadsheet, but you can close multiple locations and reopen multiple locations in Google My Business.

Learn how to:

You may be asked to verify that a location has closed. If you see the following card on a single location:

Screenshot 2015-12-11 at 3.05.36 PM.png

Click Yes to confirm that the location is permanently closed, or No to indicate that the location is still open.

You may also be asked to confirm that locations are closed from your list view. Click Confirm closed on the right side of the location’s row to confirm Google Updates that the location is closed.

Screenshot 2015-12-11 at 3.06.14 PM.png

Confirming that a location is closed removes the location from your To-do list, which may make it easier to manage your account.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keeping Your Location Status Up to Date

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Elizabeth, 

This is fantastic news!  

One question I have about this update is:

1) When marking a location as closed from a GMB dashboard, will the listing eventually get removed from Maps and Search. Or will it always remain active, but just be displayed as "Permanently Closed"?

In the past, we noticed that when a location is removed from a GMB dashboard due to a closure, it will take 24-48 hours to become status as closed on Maps & Search and at times get removed from Maps & Search. 

Thanks,
Edgar 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elizabeth

Let me ask some questions, as a large Agency is interested in spreading the use of GMB in Japan.

1. When the location is closed, would the location extensions in AdWords automatically stop showing?
2. If so, does this mean that they can control which location they want to serve as a location extension from the GMB side?

Thanks
Kengo

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi @Kengo M,

Thanks for the questions! When a location is marked permanently closed they do not automatically stop being eligible to show in Location Extensions.  Instead the advertiser has to go in and select to filter those out.

I believe the easiest way is to first in GMB add a label to the permanently closed locations, and then in AW filter based on that label.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

-Liz

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi @Edgar Estrada,

Thanks for the question! When a location is marked as closed, it will be displayed as "permanently closed." The reason behind this is that we find the data useful to users--for example, if I were searching for a pizza parlor that had been closed and came across it in maps, it would be really helpful to me as a consumer to know that it is closed, not for it to just disappear from Maps. 

-Liz

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My business has moved to a new location.
I am not finding instructions on how to update that.
Thank you for your help.
Suzi

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Suzi it depends on whether your business owns a verified business page or not.
Please specify its details of the old end new locaton

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Helmut,
I have similar problem. My company moved locations about 6 months ago, and the old location still pops up when company name is searched. I have submitted update address request multiple times with no change. How do I get Google to eliminate the old address and recognize the new appropriate location address?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @wade h

Can you please start a new thread with your full business name and both old and new addresses.

Thank you

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elizabeth, someone has verified my company name under their email and listed the company as permanently closed which is not the case at all! I have relocated to my home! I have contacted google small business several times, reported it etc etc but still listed! This is my company and has been for the last 6 years, this is costing me business. Can you help resolve this please?
Experts in the Topic
Linda Buquet
Helmut Geissler
PriyaC
ElizabethP