Announcements from the Community Team!
Guide Me
star_border

Introduction Field Available in G+

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

The current “Introduction” field is only visible on G+ pages and not available on Maps or Search, as has always been the case. In early August 2016, we are removing the introduction field from the Google My Business editor. The field will still be available and editable in G+, so feel free to manage it there.

While logged into your account that manages your Google My Business listing, you can visit aboutme.google.com to see and manage what people see when they view your G+ page. You can edit the introduction field under the “Story” section.

First, log into your Google My Business account, then visit aboutme.google.com. Next, scroll down to the bottom of the screen where you’ll click on a pink + sign. Please note, you may need to click the profile icon in the upper right hand corner of your screen to select the correct account. Sometimes, your login may default to another business account or your personal G+ page. 

Screenshot 2016-08-02 at 4.00.34 PM.png

Next, click on the “Story” option:

Screenshot 2016-08-02 at 4.02.33 PM.png

Then fill out your tagline and introduction:

Screenshot 2016-08-02 at 4.03.23 PM.png

This will then show up as a card on your main about me page:

Screenshot 2016-08-02 at 4.05.05 PM.png

Finally, you can adjust the setting of this field to control who sees the information by clicking on the lock icon in the lower right hand corner of the card:

Screenshot 2016-08-02 at 4.07.46 PM.png

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Introduction Field Available in G+

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Let us know if you have any questions about this new feature!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This process doesn't seem to work for listings in a 'business account'. A few months ago I had 17 listings in a 'normal' Google account but then transferred 16 of those listings out of the account into a 'business' account. Currently the only listings that show up in the list of editable 'about me' pages are the actual 'account' page and the one listing that I didn't get transferred over to the business account.

If I click on the ''All your Google+ pages' link in the top/right menu, then it goes to the main 'Business accounts you own or manage' dashboard, and not the 'about me' area.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Elizabeth, thank you for sharing this information. I searched high and low on how to edit my description in my listing and finally found your post. Thank you for sharing!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That only allows you to edit your personal section, not the business description.. How do you change the description that appears below your business.. used to be labeled introduction, but no way to get that any longer?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

sorry - but you are bit mistaken.

The link I provided is about editing the business provided introduction aka describtion.

You instead seem referring to the Google created information below of the business name in a knowledge graph.

This is a complete different matter and is created by Google algos and Google editiors.

You can't edit this kind of information.

You can report any wrong information of this Google created information to Google though

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, no. I filled out the information.. There used to be a tagline and an intro on the about us.. I filled it out.. Since changes can no longer access it, but it still shows to other people - screen capture -
https://plus.google.com/+Allpartystarz/posts/cU69H33V3nQ. Would like to edit it..
Highlighted

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Hi @Eric G,

You can find more information on the editorial summary that appears on Maps and Search in this article.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Liz

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @ElizabethP

I believe understanding the point of @Eric G and he is'nt complaining about the editorial summanry (asI thought at the beginning too) but about editing the introduction through the G+ page as described by you.

your steps in the startig post say this:

"While logged into your account that manages your Google My Business listing, you can visit aboutme.google.com to see and manage what people see when they view your G+ page. You can edit the introduction field under the “Story” section."

But believing many users will read this as log in to you Google Accoun rather then log into your GMB page account and not doing this properly aboutme.google.com will just give users to edit the personale profile

According my onw experience your above qouted steps wil work only if having created a password for the GMB page in question and the being sigend in to the virtual account of the GMB page in the new G+ view.

Its pretty hard to see exatly this steps for the average user.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
As Liz stated above...

"Please note, you may need to click the profile icon in the upper right hand corner of your screen to select the correct account"

Once you are logged in to your GMB account, and then following Liz's link to the aboutme page, you'll be taken to your personal profile.

But you'll still need to click your profile image in the upper right hand corner and scroll down to the appropriate local page (or account).

Once you've done so, you'll see the Story and Introduction with the Pencil Icon to edit that section.