My Business
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Announcements from the Community Team!
Guide Me
star_border

IMPORTANT: If you are Plagued by Calls from "Google" - Read this. Google does not make Robocalls and is Filing a Lawsuit

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Thanks Linda for sharing this information with the community in the Google Product Forum! We wanted to make sure it was available for the community here as well and so we've copied it below:

We get numerous complaints here from businesses that think the harassing and persistent telemarketing robocalls they are getting are really from Google. That's because the scammers lie and try to make it sound like they ARE Google, or are a Google partner. 

Mike Blumenthal, one of our Top Contributors here, just posted this: Robo Callers ? Google is not going to take it any more ? Files Lawsuit

It's important that Google nip this in the bud because these scammers hurt not only businesses (by harassing them and often taking their money) but hurt Google’s reputation as well.

Here are the important Google docs you need to read if you are being plagued by robocalls.  Now you can report these companies to Google too.

Report Robocall Scams  - Information from Google, suggestions about what to do and instructions for how to report these telemarketers to Google using the form below.   

FYI as Google mentioned at bottom of the page above, Google sometimes REALLY DOES call businesses. If Google calls it's important to take the call and answer honestly. Usually they only call to verify the business or location is legitimate so will ask location or business license related questions. 

Here are a couple ways to tell if a call is really from Google.

1) Google never does Robocalls that say "Press 1". 

2) Google does not talk about ranking and will not call to help you rank higher or talk about competitors outranking you. 

3) Google won't ask for money over the phone or ask for passwords. 

4) Google usually calls from area code (650)

The webform: Report Abusive Robocalls Here

Hope that helps!

Thanks to Google for acting and Mike for reporting!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Marissa Nordahl, Community Manager, Google My Business
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Follow us on GMB on Social: Facebook | Twitter
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: IMPORTANT: If you are Plagued by Calls from "Google" - R

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Thanks for sharing my post Marissa!

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
Thank you Linda!! This information is so very helpful and i'm glad to share it in the community on your behalf! PLEASE continue to add content like this in our new Learn section! :D

You are a rockstar and we appreciate all of your efforts.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Marissa Nordahl, Community Manager, Google My Business
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Follow us on GMB on Social: Facebook | Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I would like to thank you so very much for the great information you provided!!!

Butch H

IMPORTANT: If you are Plagued by Calls from "Google" - Read this. Google does not make Robocalls and is Filing a Lawsuit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get 3 to 4 calls per week to updated our business account with google. They ask if I am the owner. Well we are a Town in Ma. so I tell them we have 12,000 owners. Just make them stop