AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

iOS app install conversion tracking with multiple campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to run mobile app acquisition campaigns with server to server tracking conversions for mobile app installs on iOS. My third party tracker is Tune (MAT/Attribution Analytics).

The problem is that when I define unique conversions for unique campaigns they are being registered across all campaigns making the conversion data useless.

e.g:

Campaign X is targeted to country X for app A. I create conversion X for mobile app installs on iOS for campaign X.

Campaign Y is targeted to country Y for app A. I create conversion Y for mobile app installs on iOS for campaign Y.

The problem is that when I look at the conversions for campaign X, I see the conversions from both conversion X and Y. Which means that instead of counting 5 conversions from campaign X and attributing them to conversion X, AdWords takes all the conversions from campaign X and shows them as conversions under conversions X and Y. Therefore when I look at the conversions column in campaign X I see the conversions for conversion X and Y.

The problem is that the conversions are not being allocated to the correct campaigns. So when campaign X registers an install it counts as a conversion for conversion X and Y and is reported twice for campaign X. Even though campaign Y is not active and could not have received any conversions. The proof is that both conversion X & Y report the same amount of conversions. Which means that my conversion cost is halved, leading me to erroneous conclusions.

The reason this is so annoying is that when you set up conversion tracking for iOS App installs via S2S, you are given UNIQUE identifiers for each campaign (An ID and a LABEL) these are being sent correctly, but not attributed, which leads me to believe that I can only ever have one acquisition campaign for the same app live at once, of I want to be able to correctly track installs for that app.

Please help. Please don't comment if you have never used server to server event tracking on iOS. This is not like the web.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: iOS app install conversion tracking with multiple campaigns

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Steve,

Since you are using a third party solution, you will need to work directly with Tune to find a set-up that works with their solutions and your AdWords campaigns.

But if I'm understanding your post correctly, your conversions are being double counted since both conversion actions are tracking installs of the same app. Do you need to have two separate conversion actions at all? Typically you can set one conversion action to track a single action (ex. installing app X), and because the campaign ID is recorded when that conversion is counted, AdWords will attribute the conversion to the correct campaign. But I don't know how this works with Tune's solutions.

Cassei

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's the problem the campaign ID isn't being sent/received correctly, so an install for App X will show up on Campaigns A through to and including Z.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Steve,

Thanks for following up. In that case, you will need to work directly with the third party company to troubleshoot the issue.

Cassie