AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Why Did Google Tell My Client They Were A "Special" App?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a mobile app client. We were just beginning their mobile app install campaign of which they had allotted $xxx,xxx per month in ad spend just for Google AdWords. A few days into the install campaign a Google Representative (Abby K.) reached out to the client. I was told by the client that the outreach was because "Google said they found our app using a special algorithm and said they are interested in our success" (quoting the client here). The client went on to say that Google would put together a campaign to promote the app in the Play store.

This sounded very strange to me as I had not heard of such a special program for apps. What's going on?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Joe Y

is the Adwords account in question pre-pay? As in an upfront payment made into the account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope. Ramping into $7k per day in spend.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Joe Y

Thanks for that. It's a brand new account, or one that had considerable time being inactive?  

This happened to me about a year or two ago. We picked up a new client that had an inactive account. It was pre-pay, and the day after we deposited 5k, the client got a call just like you described.  

The reality is that there are some departments within Google that lack ethics. They didn't care that we took this client out to dinner, spent time pitching them and procured the sale.  They just decided to take over. Of course the client accepted because why would they pay us when "the source" is willing to do it for free.  The campaign this department did ended up being a disaster.

I'd caution your client in accepting. It's a conflict of interest in my opinion, and is essentially creating a "fox guarding the hen house" type situation.

Moving forward we now always put our company's contact info into the account details, or change them to us if it's a pre-existing account.  This way if it happens again, these rogue departments are contacting us and not the client.  It's sad we have to think that way considering we are "Partners," but unfortunately it is reality.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Similar situation actually. We did a pre-launch campaign to drive email signups paused after the beta launch of the app, and then after a few months we started ramping this project up. The client has now terminated wasting months of work due to this.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Joe Y

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that. I can empathize.  I know it's a tough learning experience. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Joe Y

The language used (in your quote)  did not seem to be a Google rep, and if it were, it would follow up with an email.

The client could reply to the email saying that the client hires an agency and refers the Google Rep to the agency. At this point this practice should end.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@MosheTLV

But it doesn't end with this department! How could it not be a real Google rep if they are offering the service for free? How would they be able to identify a new, high spending account so quickly if they weren't actually with Google?

The Googler who stole our account was Phil W. <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

His title is "new business account manager" and states he is in the Bay area.  Not Arizona where Revana would be. He called our client the day after we launched a new campaign for them.  Our client told him he was working with us. He did not care.  We reached out to him directly as the client gave us his number. We left messages, he did not return our calls.

I'm sure most departments in Google follow the protocol you describe, but this "New Business" department does not. 

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager to protect the privacy of Google employees.

Why Did Google Tell My Client They Were A &quot;Special&quot; App?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The one who stole away this account was Abby <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>, she has 1 year and 4 months of experience being a Digital Marketing Strategist for Google. Before that she was the creative director for a college AAF group at University of Virginia, a legislative intern, had a 2 month marketing internship, and worked as an 'educator' at LuLuLemon. She has a bachelor's degree in Spanish.

Compare that to my 23 years of experience in Digital, 13 years experience in PPC strategy, 11 years experience in startup marketing (this client was a startup), marketing degree, and my hobby of studying military strategy. 

It's safe to say that this is her first marketing job period looking at her very well completed LinkedIN work history and she has the title of "Strategist" at Google?

This is Google using their brand and an inflated, unearned title, to steal away a client that was spending at a high level. I'm sure Abby is a nice and intelligent person, but I'm not ok with this. Now I'll be pushing clients to spend twice as much on Facebook as they do AdWords, Facebook has (yet) to steal away a client.

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager to protect the privacy of Google employees.

Why Did Google Tell My Client They Were A &quot;Special&quot; App?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're updating our PPC onboarding over this and to better communicate about Google's aggressive behavior.