AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Website call conversion only when call extension displayed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently set up the website call conversion. I tested the conversion tracking 3 times. Twice I clicked on a desktop ad that didn't display the call extension and the website phone number didn't change. (Both times I used new incognito windows). The third time I clicked on a mobile ad which did show the call extension and then the website phone number did updated with the google forwarding number.

So my question is, will the website phone number only update when the call extension is displayed on the original ad? Or should the website phone number change after you click on any ad regardless of what extension is displayed?

I'm only wondering because we're targeting business professionals who will likely be on their work computers and use their desktop phone to call us. We'd like to be able to track those calls.

Thank you for any help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brett G
July 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

In theory, yes - Every time a user clicks through, they should be shown a call forwarding number... But, things have gotten a bit skewed with desktop devices. It used to be that you had to have some minimum performance thresholds that you had to reach in order to accrue phone impressions for call forwarding numbers. Now, it's more difficult than ever to accrue phone impressions and call forwarding numbers on desktop devices period. And, at this point, Google isn't providing any clear answers.

So, other than continuing your efforts, and seeing if you can begin to accrue phone impressions for call forwarding numbers - Then seeing if once you accrue those impressions the call forwarding number pulls through for desktop devices.

The "best" option is third party call tracking that integrates with AdWords and analytics. That's the only way to insure absolute consistency.

I wish I had a better answer, but things are a bit cloudy with Google call forwarding right now.

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brett G
July 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

In theory, yes - Every time a user clicks through, they should be shown a call forwarding number... But, things have gotten a bit skewed with desktop devices. It used to be that you had to have some minimum performance thresholds that you had to reach in order to accrue phone impressions for call forwarding numbers. Now, it's more difficult than ever to accrue phone impressions and call forwarding numbers on desktop devices period. And, at this point, Google isn't providing any clear answers.

So, other than continuing your efforts, and seeing if you can begin to accrue phone impressions for call forwarding numbers - Then seeing if once you accrue those impressions the call forwarding number pulls through for desktop devices.

The "best" option is third party call tracking that integrates with AdWords and analytics. That's the only way to insure absolute consistency.

I wish I had a better answer, but things are a bit cloudy with Google call forwarding right now.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Here is the official help file for Google forwarding number to get better insights.

Rectifying Tom here, for desktop devices instead of impressions you need to have minimum number of clicks in a 4-week period.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

There's several steps to meeting the "performance" threshold... Or, at least there used to be. First you had to meet a minimum CTR threshold to accrue phone impressions, then you had to maintain a minimum Phone Through Rate to keep the call forwarding number - Per adgroup. Now that call details are available at the KW and ad level, that adds another wrinkle...

I wonder if perhaps there are now unofficial performance thresholds for the individual KW's in the adgroup, above and beyond the total aggregate adgroup performance(?). Regardless, the standards are definitely different for desktop devices over mobile devices. So, if you want to start accruing more desktop phone impressions, work on your structure at the adgroup level, and continue to try and optimize / restrict your adgroups KW volume so you can meet those desktop performance thresholds.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the insight. I'll also read more on the support link sent by Archit below. Again, I appreciate the help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would setting the call extension to favor mobile devices affect the desktop website call forwarding in any way?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Yes, opting mobile devices will restrict the GFN for desktop devices.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, I'm going to test GFN on desktop devices by turning off mobile preference for call extensions. Thank you for the confirmation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I removed the mobile preference on the call extension from one of my campaigns, searched for the ad on desktop (saw the call extension), clicked on the ad and saw the dynamic GFN on the website.

Many thanks to both of you who helped and provided advice and information. It was greatly appreciated!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

You are welcome!!

Regards