AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Vertical vs. horizontal video for mobile app install campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm setting up a mobile app install campaign. Plan to use the Universal App Campaign ad unit for Android and the display network for iOS (at least until the UAC is available for iOS).

Should I use VERTICAL or HORIZONTAL video ads for these campaigns? I see no advice anywhere about which works best (and I've searched a LOT). 

Are there any metrics/analysis around the usage of vertical vs. horizontal videos in app install campaigns? 

Thank you!!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Vertical vs. horizontal video for mobile app install campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Carri B can you elaborate on what you mean by "vertical" and "horizontal" video?  Videos don't have an orientation, only an aspect ratio (in plain terms, their dimensions width and height).  I suspect you're referring to the frequently seen tall and narrow videos that appear from time to time; these are simply videos shot with the camera (typically a phone) held the wrong way.  The video produced is itself still full width, but black is used to fill in the missing information from the sides.

phone_recording.png

The videos produced are the same size and ratio, but if the phone is held vertically (a bad way to shoot video), only a section in the middle actually contains the images while the wasted sides are filled with black.

So, to answer the question, you should just use properly shot video, there's no such thing as vertical or horizontal...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Carri B,

App install ad formats

• Video app install ads are video ads on the Display Network created using a link from your YouTube account, or automatically generated from your app images, icons, and reviews. 

Note: Keep in mind, these ads may show up in different sizes or formats based on the apps, websites or devices where they appear.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Anand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
People who work in advertising refer to videos with a vertical aspect ratio as "vertical video." That's the vernacular. There is quite a lot of discussion and reporting on the effectiveness.

For example, Snapchat reports that vertical video is far more effective for advertisers than horizontal video (I believe the stat was 9x as effective). Other publishers are following suit: http://digiday.com/platforms/hearst-comes-way-replay-vertical-video-ads-snapchat/

Given that, Google should be providing stats and advice to advertisers about which is more effective on its own ad platform, particularly as it relates to app promotions since those ads generally appear on mobile devices. I have yet to find any information about the viability or effectiveness of vertical video in Google ads.

At this point, I'd say Google is a bit behind the curve and advertisers will just have to experiment on their own $$ to see what potential customers respond to.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Carri,

"Google should be providing stats and advice to advertisers about which is more effective on its own ad platform"

In respect to advertisers, Google proper is a market provider. As such, its main objective must be to provide advertisers with as many options as possible in particular aspects. A discussion on which combination of which options for which niches and when may prove efficient for whom is something beyond their main responsibilities I think. These questions are typically discussed by strategists, thought leaders and the entire ecosystem.

Best,
Lakatos

Vertical vs. horizontal video for mobile app install campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Carri! Several months later, I'd love to hear your thoughts or insights on this landscape vs. vertical video campaigns topic. What have been the results for you with Google ads (as you mentioned, everywhere else the ad orientation is something that seems to be a priority)