AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Universal app campaign: cannot include in app actions for users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have created universal app campaign and it's performance is really good. However, the campaign does not allow me to 'Get new users who are likely to complete in-app actions that you select' in the 'Campaign Optimization' field. It only gives me the option to select 'Get new users for your app'. There is a tip above the 'Campaign Optimization' field which says "Your campaign can't be optimised around your users' in-app behaviour because you haven't set up any in-app actions." 

How do I set up in-app actions? Please Help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Universal app campaign: cannot include in app actions for users

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Farhan Z,

A in-app action is something other than a download, like a purchase. 

1. Sign in to your AdWords account.
  2. Click the Tools tab, and select Conversions from the drop-down menu.
  3. Click the + Conversion button.
  4. Select the "App" option.
  5. Select First opens and in-app actions.

You can learn more with the info provided here for Android or here for iOS.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@James_Clemens I added few in-app events in Google Analytics. Took one of them and made a goal in GA again. Now, I imported that goal into Adwords as conversion. But I still don't see an option to choose it as an in-app event for the same campaign purpose? 
Am I doing it right?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @saurav S,

It depends on the platform and conversion type. You can track a variety of conversions for both Android and iOS apps:

• App installs: Conversion tracking can measure how effectively your ads are leading people to install your mobile apps. There are a couple of different ways to track this:
    • Downloads from Google Play: For Android apps, you can track when someone who clicked your ad downloads your app from the Google Play store. Conversions are tracked automatically from Google Play, and you don't need to add tracking code to your app.

• First opens: For both Android and iOS apps, you can track the first time someone who clicked your ad opens your app after installing it. You may want to use this option if you use Firebase, if you track app installs from sources other than Google Play, or if you use third-party tracking solutions.

• In-app actions, such as purchases: If you're using AdWords to drive purchases or other actions within your app, use conversion tracking to measure your campaigns' effectiveness. You can automatically track in-app purchases for Android apps that use in-app billing, or you can track any in-app action through Firebase, by adding code to your app, or by using third-party analytics. 

There are a few different ways to track mobile app conversions, depending on your app’s platform and how you want to set up tracking. Click on the links below for instructions:

• Track mobile app conversions with Firebase: Track first opens, in-app purchases, or custom events by importing events from Firebase, Google’s mobile software development kit (SDK) and app analytics tool.
  • Track Android app conversions: Track app installs and in-app purchases automatically from Google Play, or track first opens and in-app actions with a third-party analytics tool or by adding code to your app.
  • Track iOS app conversions: Track first opens and in-app actions with a third-party analytics tool or by adding code to your app.

Take a look at the information and compare it to what you are working with. Let us know what you discover.

Kind Regards,

James 

Re: Universal app campaign: cannot include in app actions for users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can I do it with Google Analytics instead of Firebase?