AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Universal App Campaign CTA

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, 

I am creating my first universal app campaign.  My quesiton is, do I need to include a CTA to my banners design or does Google generates these CTA's automatically? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Universal App Campaign CTA

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyriakos C,

Negative, you'll only need to submit 4 Ad text ideas like shown on the snip from the Settings page hereunder:

Capture-nov17.PNG

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Lacatos, 

Thank you for your reply.  

Besides the ad text ideas, you can also upload images on your ad by clicking the Edit text below you ad text ideas.  I am speaking about those images.  

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It was clear you uploaded a banner. Your question was whether or not you also needed to additionally upload something else, such as a call-to-action. (or text ideas)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Lakatos, 

Sorry for the missunderstanding.  I added the text to the "Ad text ideas" section but did not upload any banners.  I am designing the banners now but I do not know if I should include a CTA to my banner design or if the CTA will be automatically generated by Google when they show my banners. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyriakos C,

Thanks a lot for the clarification... (Edited)

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much for your answers.   I can see you are speaking about videos, does this applies for banners as well?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyriakos C,

I edited my former reply because it turns out that you don't wish to add a video to your Universal App Campaign. (Note that we typically add CTA-overlays to videos.)

Unfortunately I need to ask you 2 questions so as to see your intentions clearly:

1. Is it an Android or an iOS app that you wish to promote?

2. What is your campaign optimization objective? (It's on the Campaign Settings page)

....... a. "Get new users for your app"  

-   OR  -

....... b. "Get new users who are likely to complete in-app actions that you select"

3. Why do you think you need to add a CTA-overlay to your banner? Where does this idea come from?

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Lakatos and thank you very much for all your replies.  Your help is much more valuable than what you think.  

1) I created two campaigns; one for Android and one for iOs (I believe you cannot created 1 universal app campaign for both android and iOs).  

2) My optimization objective is "Get new users for your app".

3) I am working for a brokerage in which until now we were retargeting website visitors to bring them back to our website.  

I need to know if Google generates a CTA automatically for two reasons.  a) If Google will not automatically generate an "Install Now" CTA I will need to include it in my banner design to ensure that users will know that after clicking my banner they will be redirected to appstore/playstore.  b) If the CTA is automatically generated I need to take this into consideration when creating my banner design as it may cover up some space in the banner.  I hope this is clear. 

My questions is, does Google automatically generates an "Install now" CTA for banners? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyriakos C
November 2016

Re: Universal App Campaign CTA

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Kyriakos C, 

Negative, they will not do that. Therefore include it in your banner if you really want to. 

However, you are advised to factor in that your actual ads users can see will be assembled using any of the lines of text you enter as ad text ideas, and any content (images, text, videos) from your app's listing. Just look at this snip:

Capture-nov18.PNG

In the above samples, CTAs are included because the ad text ideas that I entered myself (see the snip my first post!) populate that space. Though I never tried it on my own, my best guess is that if you add a banner as a background image containing a CTA, it may in fact result in duplicating CTAs.

By the way, that's an example of how an ad of a UAC with a background image may look like on YT:

Capture-nov18a.PNG

Best,

Lakatos