5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Tips for Using Mobile-Preferred Ads & Ad Extensions #MobileMondays

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Have you ever wondered what that little “Mobile” checkbox in your ad editing panel means? What about the one next to your sitelink or call extension?

Consumers can search or browse the web anytime, anywhere, and the reality of a multi-screen world is that what someone is looking for can vary widely from device to device.

These differences in intent and behavior should factor into any successful advertising strategy. You'll likely want to show mobile users different ad copy than you would show them on desktop computers, and the same goes for your sitelinks, call extensions, callout extensions, and even the keywords you choose to target.

mobileads3

What is Device Preference?

Turning on the mobile device preference for a given ad or ad extension tells AdWords you want to show this version of your ad or extension to mobile users. If your ad group contains multiple ads, with some eligible to appear on all devices and some marked as mobile-preferred, only your mobile-preferred ads will appear on mobile devices.

Hitting the Device Preference checkbox will let you preview how the ad might look on mobile devices:

mobile5

How can you use this strategically?

There's no point duplicating an existing ad and only changing the device preference! Consider these strategic changes instead:

• Use a call-to-action that speaks to a potential visitor on their mobile phone. For example: "Call to make a reservation," "Find nearby stores," or "Save our mobile coupon."
  • Make use of Callout Extensions to show mobile-tailored information, like "Open Now" or "Walk-Ins Welcome."
  • Create mobile-preferred Sitelink Extensions highlighting pages on your site that mobile visitors will find helpful, like "Contact Us" or "Locations."
  • The smaller mobile screen means there are fewer ad slots. Improve your ad rank by including a keyword or two in your ad copy, checking your Quality Score, and matching the estimated first page bid for high-value keywords

a

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tips for Using Mobile-Preferred Ads & Ad Extensions #MobileMondays

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Please reply below if you have any questions!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi I am getting an error.
the webpage doesnt support your ad. trying to run a mobile install campaign. please assist what s the way around?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie! Thanks for your article, I've been thinking about using that option and here I see this article! I have one question. "Find nearby stores", "Walk-Ins Welcome" and such like extensions make sense only if you have a local business, like a restaurant or a shop. What if your business is electronic and you have no certain working hours, no location to walk in? Also, what if your regular ad copies are easy to read on most modern mobile devices (because of their screen resolution). There is no need to create mobile-only ads or extensions then, right?

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi Himanshu,

Since your question is related to an error message, I would recommend starting your own separate thread to get the best answer. Please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thanks!

Cassie

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi Leslie,

Great question! I'd agree that if you have only an ecommerce store, then having mobile-tailored sitelinks, callouts, or ad text is not as crucial as it would be if you were also trying to drive foot traffic to a brick-and-mortar store. But one thing you will want to keep in mind is that sometimes AdWords will drop the second line of your text ad when the ad shows on mobile devices, and replace that line with ad extensions (since the screen size is much smaller). Because of this, it can be useful to have a mobile variation with a first line that "stands alone"--that way you don't have a cut-off sentence if you originally wrote the line for desktops and have Line 1 running over into Line 2.

Another case where it's still useful to specify mobile-preferred ads is for image ads on the Display Network--using standard image sizes like  320x50, 300x250, 728x90, and text ads will look best on mobile.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie,

Thank you for the reply and the link - if the second description line is eliminated, I should add mobile-only ads for each of my ad groups :-)

Leslie

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

@Leslie M Yep--this way you have more control over what you're showing to each customer, no matter which device they're on!

Tips for Using Mobile-Preferred Ads & Ad Extensions #MobileMondays

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great content.

Experts in the Topic
CassieH