AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Thracking for In-app purchase

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a e-commerce app. When people checkout, they will be redirected to a webpage to complete the payment. I would like to know how can I track the in-app purchase as the purchase takes place outside the app. I am unable to use the in-app SDK to track. Is there any other way I can track the in-app conversion?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Thracking for In-app purchase

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi

You can do this with Google Analytics.
1. On user launching the app you can store your utm values in local storage.
2. when user clicks on link which takes user outside your native experience to a web page. That link you can dynamically append with the UTM parameters

This way you will be able to tag conversions to your source, medium, campaign etc but this will still create 1 session in app and 1 session in web. You wont be able to tie the sessions together like you do with cross domain tracking.
hope this helps
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Wong,

Are you sending referral traffic to the website for the purchase or is it your own website? If its your own website then I think a great feature to use would be the Universal Analytics User ID feature. That way you can do cross-domain tracking (this requires thought that your user is signed in the website when he makes the purchase).

Also what @theniks is very good advice, you should take advantage of the UTM feature.
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

HI @Joshua R

User ID feature does allow you to track user across platforms but it does not pass pass session or session attribution from one platform to another.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Including an external (Google Analytics) or an internal (server side) event that someone clicked to purchase should fix this.
Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’