AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

The webpage doesn't show ads in the format of your ads on the selected device.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've inherited an AdWords campaign, type: Search Network only - Mobile app installs. Everything says approved/eligible until I run a KW diagnoses - at which point I am told my ads are not showing because "The webpage doesn't show ads in the format of your ads on the selected device."

What does this mean? I've seen several threads on this, and they all refer back to one single individual whose opinion was "targeting" being the issue. I am aware of said 'opinion' and don't believe that can be right, so please don't refer to that opinion unless you have blown your targeting wide open and had the problem fixed - in which case, please specify exactly how you blew things wide open.

"Targeting" can't logically be the reason for not showing, when "format of your ads" is the justification... it has to be something else.

Thanks,
Evan

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Evan R
March 2016

Re: The webpage doesn't show ads in the format of your ads on the selected device.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just found the answer. It has nothing to do with "opening up the targeting" as seen in previous opinions. When you run a keyword diagnoses, the error we're seeing - The webpage doesn't show ads in the format of your ads on the selected device - defaults to desktop, which means this is a desktop disapproval. By nature of the campaign type - "Search Network - mobile app installs," our ads aren't showing up on desktops anyway, so the error should be disregarded, and only considered as ads being disapproved on desktops.

Maybe someday Google will perceive that this type of campaign doesn't target desktops and will remove that error.

View solution in original post

Re: The webpage doesn't show ads in the format of your ads on the selected device.

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
What happens when you check it in the Ads Preview and Diagnosis Tool? Adwords provideds a very limited and sometimes head-scratching initial error messages when there are problems - you really need to use the preview tool to get an accurate error description,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Phillip,

this is what it says in the Ads Preview and Diagnosis Tool - "No, your ad is not showing for the keyword [jane app] ( App Download - iOS > Text Ads - iOS App Down - Search )
The webpage doesn't show ads in the format of your ads on the selected device."

That is also the same thing it says when I click that chat bubble in the "status" column of my keyword. Plot twist - I am still getting impressions. So I don't know how it can say "no, your ad is not showing," but still getting impressions. The result I'm getting is actually pretty good on the very limited data I have, and I'm suspicious this issue is causing me to lose impressions, and therefore conversions - so I'm trying to figure out how to get the error removed and have had no help from my Google rep.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
There have been others reporting improper error messages - see https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Mobile-Apps-and-Calls/Not-Showing-Ads-on-Search-Network-on...

I agree with the thread I've linked to - try using broad match and test on an actual iPhone rather than the preview tool.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah I saw that one as well a while back. I'll see what happens when I go broad mod on my keywords.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Evan R
March 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just found the answer. It has nothing to do with "opening up the targeting" as seen in previous opinions. When you run a keyword diagnoses, the error we're seeing - The webpage doesn't show ads in the format of your ads on the selected device - defaults to desktop, which means this is a desktop disapproval. By nature of the campaign type - "Search Network - mobile app installs," our ads aren't showing up on desktops anyway, so the error should be disregarded, and only considered as ads being disapproved on desktops.

Maybe someday Google will perceive that this type of campaign doesn't target desktops and will remove that error.