AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

The 25 Elements of a Great Mobile Site #MobileMonday

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

In last week’s #MobileMonday, we talked a bit about the changing mobile landscape and how to check if your business’s website is truly mobile-friendly. Today, we’ll dive into the factors that the Mobile-Friendliness tool uses to grade your site!

mobilehub1.jpg

In April 2014, Google partnered with AnswerLab to run a huge user study on how people interact with mobile sites, called The Principles of Mobile Site Design. They observed user behavior on both Android and iOS devices, and focused in particular on how easy (or difficult) it was for participants to complete conversions, like purchases or reservations, on the mobile sites.

Whether you’re looking to adjust your current mobile site experience or making a wishlist for your first-ever mobile site, this resource is a great place to start--and a good checklist to consult before you change your mobile bid adjustment:

So what do great mobile sites have in common?

We don’t have enough space here to deep dive into all 25 principles, but the researchers grouped these into five sections:

Homepage & Site Navigation

This section is all about quickly getting users where they need to go by highlighting your call-to-action and making it easy to jump back to your homepage.

Site Search

Ensure your site search results are relevant and implement filters to help users easily navigate your site.

Commerce & Conversions

Put users in control of their conversion experience. Recommendations in this section include allowing users to purchase as guests, and making it easy to finish converting on another device.

Form Entry

This section discusses how to reduce friction and provide a seamless form completion process.

Usability & Form Factor

The little things matter. This section covers best practices to keep users happy, such as not making users pinch and zoom to view your mobile site, and keeping them in one browser window.

Take a look at the full list of principles over here on Google’s Multi-Screen Resources hub!

a

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: The 25 Elements of a Great Mobile Site #MobileMonday

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Please leave any questions or thoughts below!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
wow! We are just about to update our website to a Web Responsive Design. These are some great ideas. Where would i get a checklist or priority list of what to to work with. Thank you again!!

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

@Timothy P Glad to hear it! I didn't find a checklist necessarily, but this resource from Google Developers showcases the main takeaways of the Principles of Mobile Site Design Study.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Fantastic thank you. I believe i was there just yesterday and it gave me some great ideas. I can't do it on my own though because our website was custom made. We will be looking to outsource but this helps me know what to ask them to do.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Remembering Sort along with search filter would be a great addition. When we hit the back button the sort is forgotten.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi CassieH,
What do you think about redirecting issues that affect page load time ? Is there is any alternative to overcome this problem??

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Hi Avinash,

Since too many redirects can significantly slow down your mobile site load time, we definitely recommend minimizing them wherever possible. This would be a task for your webmaster or whoever has built your site. You can learn more about the recommendations here on the Google Developers site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for helpful suggestions .

The 25 Elements of a Great Mobile Site #MobileMonday

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm an interior designer with a wide range of services on offer. Do you think people would want to search on mobile or desktop for my services as it is not a quick decision type service- it takes longer to decide on an interior designer than to decide on a take away restaurant? 

Simone