AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Receiving weird calls from other local business that were trying to call other business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here also experienced having weird calls from people that were trying to call another business? 

Our company in Australia are receiving weird calls about 5 calls per day from random people that were trying to call other company, for example they may have been trying to call the local bus company and they click on the bus company's ad but the call goes in to us rather than the bus company.

They said they clicked on another business in Google Adwords but we receive the calls. 

Also our company is wondering if we get charged by the calls. 

I hope someone can help. 

Thanks! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Receiving weird calls from other local business that were trying to call other business

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Is your phone number similar to that of the bus company? It is possible that the advertiser mis-typed their number in the call extension...

Re: Receiving weird calls from other local business that were trying to call other business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

No. The number is ours. Yep possible but is there a way that I can contact google about this?
We are worried that the calls might charge us because of those calls.

Thanks
Ana

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Ana Franceska B,

There have been times in the past where tracking numbers from ads are used with one client (example: Bus Station) and then they stop using it and another client using a tracking number with AdWords receives the same number, since they are reused) and calls come in from people who saved the number to their phone, address book, etc.. In this case, they are not calling your ad and you are not being charged.

Also, a technical glitch, or bug, could be present and causing this odd and unusual behavior. 

It is hard to say if you are being charged, since it matters in how this is happening and what is involved, overall. You have solid info on knowing that they are clicking on Ad 1 and connecting with Ad 2.  

The best thing to do would be to call Google AdWords Support and go over the issue with them so they can look into it and offer a solution and credit your account, if in fact, the calls are from your ad. To reach them, open up AdWords and click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner and call the number shown or click on Help (same location) and use another method to interact with support.

All the Best,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My wrong calls are still within the veterinary community...  but yeah, none of them have been for us!!  What do we do??  And I can't figure out where they're getting the wrong information!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get a recorded announcement that the call originated from "Google Ad" and then the person wants one of the other vet clinics in Billings.  And it's never the same clinic, it's always someone different.  Anyone but us!  Smiley Surprised)  

Re: Receiving weird calls from other local business that were trying to call other business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same here! We can't figure out how that happened.