AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Question on Ads in the 3-Pack

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I pretty much see ads in the 3-pack for every single search I do now on mobile. I have a couple questions:

1. Are the ads that show in the 3-pack solely based on keywords or do the categories on the business listing via GMB impact where it shows?
  2. Why does the call button show for some and not for others? The Location Extension is what triggers this, not the call extension right? See attached screenshots.

Call Button Showing.pngPhone #.png

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I have no idea why I can't get the images to work so I uploaded them to Google Drive.

Showing Phone Number: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVfOg4iMZOBUVczYksxVjZOMDQ/view?usp=sharing

Not Showing Phone Number: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVfOg4iMZOBdlhjakZlOXB5Nm8/view?usp=sharing

Owner of Sterling Sky

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@JoyHawkins

I think images are having a problem sitewide. I noticed ones that I had viewed in the past were not showing either.

The ads on maps definitely come from regular search campaign keywords, search partners enabled, and an active location extension.  Call extensions are not in play.  Keywords matching/relevant to business category could potentially be something that is factored into AdRank,but not something I know for certain.

The instance in your screenshot could be the result of something algorithmic, a test, etc., and does show a call button at other times.  Could another possibility be that it's simply being formatted out because of the long business name? It looks like there needs to be a certain amount of space between the listing and the call button.  Notice on the others how it truncates the address so that space is observed.  Perhaps there is a setting not to truncate the actual business name, and the call button is getting dropped as a result?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks. I am glad to know the image problem isn't just me. I had the same issues over at the GMB forum.  

So interesting point on the Search Partners. I thought all Google Properties were now no longer included in the Search Partners? Specifically Google Maps is now a part of the core Google group so I wanted to double-check that.

I don't think it's related to the business name. Here is another example where it's a long business name and the phone icon is still there. The name just gets cut off.  My theory was maybe the phone icon only appears if the person is using AdWords Express? I know in the past, ads with AdWords Express got review stars long before regular AdWords accounts had them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVfOg4iMZOBQTFOcldrMmVpYmc/view?usp=sharing

Owner of Sterling Sky

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@JoyHawkins

That could certainly be an update I missed.  The search network help page just states "YouTube and other Google sites."  I've got a client that typically averages position 3 in Google search. Position 2 and 1 both have location extensions enabled. My client always shows in maps, and is always first on search partner sites like CNN.com.  So I know that position 2 and 1 in regular search are doing Google search only.

You're right about the stars with Adwords Express (was called Boost then), but I am certain ads with call buttons can come from regular Adwords campaigns. I've seen them first hand for multiple clients. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

The "pack " is currently the format Google is using . 

If  advertiser uses call extension, combined with a local extension, call extension is shown.

If no call extension Google might / or might not show a phone number taken  /obtained from GMB or other local  directories.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@MosheTLV

i've got a client with a 3rd party tracking number as call extension, and location extension. The tracking number shows in regular search ads.  When I clicked the call button on maps ad, it loaded the business listing number into my phone. I just did this to confirm.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@David Kyle;

By Call extension I mean Google forwarding number.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client with call extensions and location extensions enabled, and the phone number is not showing on their 3-pack ad.