AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Messaging Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see that I have the Messaging Extension available to use in my account now(i believe it was recently released from beta).

I've been thinking about how to use this. The company I work for has an internal sales team so getting texts could be something we can take advantage of, but I'm just trying to think of the best number to send the messages to.

I feel like there's probably some way to have the number be a Google Voice number, then have that text show up in Hangouts on desktop to someone monitoring these to respond, and then off hours have it forward to the boss's phone.

How is everyone else going to utilize these?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim N
October 2016

Messaging Extensions

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I haven't used messaging extensions yet, but if you use them with a forwarded Google voice number, make sure you thoroughly test it first.

I have used a (650) Google voice number forwarded to my cell# for a couple of years, and SMS text message forwarding only works "on occasion". The call forwarding works great, but the text message forwarding has not proved to be reliable, in my case.

The arrival of Google text messaging ad extensions is a fantastic development, I expect it will become a raging success story in many campaigns. It will lower the threshold for capturing conversions, because many people will hesitate to place a phone call and speak to someone real-time, or go through voicemail navigations and time on hold (too much commitment, too much hassle) but they will text much more readily.

View solution in original post

Messaging Extensions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The Google Voice option is an excellent choice. It purely depends on the type of business. I have one client that sells high-end rugs and there are two sales reps who have cellphones with forwarding messages that they plan to use because they are always on-call to take orders. For others, a Google Voice option may be better so the likelihood someone can respond quickly is much higher. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim N
October 2016

Messaging Extensions

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I haven't used messaging extensions yet, but if you use them with a forwarded Google voice number, make sure you thoroughly test it first.

I have used a (650) Google voice number forwarded to my cell# for a couple of years, and SMS text message forwarding only works "on occasion". The call forwarding works great, but the text message forwarding has not proved to be reliable, in my case.

The arrival of Google text messaging ad extensions is a fantastic development, I expect it will become a raging success story in many campaigns. It will lower the threshold for capturing conversions, because many people will hesitate to place a phone call and speak to someone real-time, or go through voicemail navigations and time on hold (too much commitment, too much hassle) but they will text much more readily.

Messaging Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For sure. I spent most of the day yesterday trying to figure out the best way to establish a work flow with it. I set up a new work Gmail so the messages get forwarded to that email, set up a few phones to also get the messages, then I was trying to forward it to the boss's Outlook email as a fail-safe in-case nobody else got the messages. Only issue with that is that I can't figure out how to respond to a text in Outlook and have it send back to the "customers" phone. Those messages always fail to deliver, forcing you to login to the Gmail account or respond from a phone.

I'll be interested to see how many people even see the extension and use it though.

Messaging Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking to use the app as well. However, my only concern, is does this follow the SMS laws, in which you have to notify the SMS sender of a way to opt-out? To comply. Or does this Messaging platform change those rules? 

Messaging Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i want to use adwords message extensions with google hangouts. how do you set it up??

Messaging Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same issue, anyone figure this out?

Messaging Extensions

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

For more information about Google AdWords Messaging Extension, please refer to this links:

About Messaging Extension.

Use Messaging Extension.

Message Extension Requirements.

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.