AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

International google forwarding numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am running Adwords campaigns in the UK, from a USA account. I have website call tracking turned on, I have added the javascript to google tag manager and I have added the google forwarding code to the top of the body, yet it is still not working.

I went into debug mode and it is telling me 'Attempting to auto-replace. Could not get number. Not tracked'.

Is this because of the International element involved here?

In Adwords, in the conversion tab, it is telling me that it is reading the conversion tracking code (the java part).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, here is the website in question:

www.railbookers.com

Google Tag Manager contains the following java:

<script type="text/javascript">
(function(a,e,c,f,g,h,b,d){var k={ak:"969696990",cl:"J-iyCMW6h24Q3s2xzgM",autoreplace:"020 3780 2222"};a[c]=a[c]||function(){(a[c].q=a[c].q||[]).push(arguments)};a[g]||(a[g]=k.ak);b=e.createElement(h);b.async=1;b.src="//www.gstatic.com/wcm/loader.js";d=e.getElementsByTagName(h)[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(b,d);a[f]=fu... Date,e)};a[f]()})(window,document,"_googWcmImpl","_googWcmGet","_googWcmAk","script");
</script>

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Finally, because I updated the site with this code to get around the <div> on the site...

<body onload="_googWcmGet('phone-number', '020 3780 2222')">

I changed the Adwords conversion tracking code to the below (i.e. the one that it gives if you are manually changing the number on the site):

<script type="text/javascript">
(function(a,e,c,f,g,h,b,d){var k={ak:"969696990",cl:"J-iyCMW6h24Q3s2xzgM"};a[c]=a[c]||function(){(a[c].q=a[c].q||[]).push(arguments)};a[g]||(a[g]=k.ak);b=e.createElement(h);b.async=1;b.src="//www.gstatic.com/wcm/loader.js";d=e.getElementsByTagName(h)[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(b,d);a[f]=fu... Date,e)};a[f]()})(window,document,"_googWcmImpl","_googWcmGet","_googWcmAk","script");
</script>

But it is still not working. Same error message from debugger mode - making me think it is linked to the international number factor possibly?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Steve,

The phone number won't be the issue.

Does your site change depending on where someone is visiting from? I'm thinking that could be the issue - if Google's script sees a different page with a different number.... 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

No I do not believe any elements change based on location - certainly not the phone number as it is not a dynamic element within the code, were you referring to the phone number being a dynamic element? 

When the adword link is clicked, the number doesn't change, but add the #google-wcc-debug code to the end of the URL and refresh the page, the number pulls through fine. Called it, it connects to the right landing number, and shows up as a conversion in the Adwords account. So it definitely works.

To further verify this, I also separately have call extensions for mobile ads with the forwarding number, and they show when the number is clicked on ads in mobile.

I believe it definitely is an issue with the scripts, as you also point out. However, instead of it being a location issue, could it be that there is a script either inside or outside of Google Tag Manager that is blocking the conversion script from communicating with the Google fowarding number code?

Regards

Steve

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Script conflict is always a possibility.