AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

I'm confused re the google forwarding number.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wanted to use the new text messaging feature and I think I haven't set up the business correctly to use a tracking number, but I'm not sure. I don't want the business number/cell phone number to display in the ad, I want a google tracking number to display in the ad. Do I just put the business number in the call extension? Do I put the cell phone number in the message extension? Is it swapping it out and I never see it. I read in help docs that ONLY if you have a certain amount of traffic will it be swapped out anyway and if not enough click, Google will use your business number. How will I know what is being used? Will it show me in Ad tester? Thank you for your help, Google support hung up and never answered my question.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Carmen R

There is some confusion here

A google forwarding number is available only in select countries and will be shown in the ad (to track the call) if you choose (during the setup) "call reporting". Otherwise the business number  (provided when setting the extension) is shown.

For message extensions - if I recall correctly, only clickable icon is shown.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: I'm confused re the google forwarding number.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think its not reliable because it is reporting a very high number of calls that I know isn’t correct. Like 60+ a month although phone calls come maybe once a day so I keep ignoring it but would love to get it setup correctly. Any other suggestions?

Carmen

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Carmen R

Message Extensions and Call Extensions are two separate Ad Extensions. I thought your question was originally about Message Extensions but I see in your latest message that you're having a problem with Call Extension data. Which ad extension are you experiencing problems with? 

Here's a helpful article about Message Extensions Best Practices: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7182126?hl=en. 

For Message Extensions, as @MosheTLV said no number shows, there is just a clickable icon. Now, I'm not sure if they number appears in the user's texting app once they click the ad. I haven't read anything about this since the feature was launched. 

For Call Extensions, you can have Call Reporting set up to track calls. If you feel the data you're receiving by doing so is inaccurate, a first step I would suggest would be to see the time and duration of the calls to make sure you're getting good calls. You can do so in AdWords by clicking on the Dimensions tab, in the View: box select Call details. Here you can view the call start/end times, status, duration, caller area code and source, etc. 

I hope this helps!

Allie