AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

How to Calculate the Right Mobile Bid Adjustment for your Campaign | #MobileMonday

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

right-m-bid

We’re ten weeks into #MobileMonday, and you may have noticed that we haven’t yet discussed what might just be the most obvious way to influence your mobile performance in AdWords: the mobile bid adjustment.

Setting a mobile bid adjustment tells AdWords to adjust your auction bid higher or lower by a percentage you choose if a potential customer is searching or browsing the web on a mobile device. You can adjust your bids for mobile devices on the ad group or campaign level, from as low as -100% to as high as +300%.

With a range like that to choose from, picking the right bid adjustment isn’t easy!

It’s always best to use past campaign performance and your own knowledge of your business to make decisions about your advertising. But if you’re starting to factor mobile traffic into your advertising plan for the first time and don’t know where to begin, you can use the following formula to determine an ROI-focused mobile bid adjustment based on your current conversion rates.

(Mobile Conversion Rate ÷ Desktop Conversion Rate) -100%

This formula can be a good starting point if you...

• Already track conversions
  • Have a significant number of tracked conversions in the last 30 days

You shouldn’t use this formula yet if...

• Your campaigns are not close to reaching your ideal cost per conversion. In this case, you should work on optimizing your account structure and making sure you are tracking all relevant conversions.
  • It’s difficult to complete your conversion actions on a mobile device. For example, if you primarily track online purchases and your website is not mobile optimized, then you should focus on your mobile site experience first.

You can find complete steps to changing your mobile bid adjustment on the AdWords Help Center.

a

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Calculate the Right Mobile Bid Adjustment for your Campaign | #MobileMonday

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Please leave any follow-up questions or comments below and I'll be happy to help!

Re: How to Calculate the Right Mobile Bid Adjustment for your Campaign | #MobileMonday

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cassie,

What are your thoughts on increasing impression share on mobile? I've seen in many cases increasing adjustments help, but also hurt impression shares.

Cheers!

Stefano Apostolakos

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I also will factor in the CTR when calculating mobile bids. There have been cases where say the desktop conversion rate is 2% and the mobile is 1%, but then when I look at the CTR I see that desktop has a 1% CTR and mobile has 6%. So while desktop converts better, mobile is better at getting people to the site; by increasing the bid adjustment on mobile in that case you can get more conversions than desktop even though it has a lower conversion rate. Of course you always have to factor in your account strategy and the clients goals; for instance in the example I gave you'll likely end up spending a bit more for each mobile conversion than you would on desktop, if the client is focused on bringing down cost per conversion then you would not want to bump up the mobile bid.

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

@Stefano A I haven't seen mobile bid adjustments hurting impression share as you describe, but raising a mobile bid solely for the sake of impression share can definitely hurt ROI/conversion rate if the site experience isn't optimized. Mobile impression share is good to keep an eye on in terms of making sure your competition is not dominating the mobile space, but I think it's one of a number of factors to consider!

@Spike M Great point. Especially depending on the attribution model you're using, mobile conversion rate does not necessarily show you the full picture.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Can you please explain, the formula?
Suppose i have mobile conversion rate 8% and desktop conversion rate is 5% , then according to your formula, what should be my mobile bid adjustment?

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

@Shiv B Device bidding is actually changing very soon. This formula was created when we only had the option to adjust bids for mobile devices in AdWords, but given the coming launch of device bid adjustments for desktops and tablets as well, we recommend a different strategy.

I'd suggest watching our Hangout on Air on device bid adjustments that happened earlier this week. In the recording, the Product Manager walks through a formula you can use, as well as other recommendations for managing your bids.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Does having a -% (such as -20%) influence Google's decision on whether to show or not to show my ad to a user. I fully understand that a choice like -100% is definitely going to but would something smaller like -20%?

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

@Terry Crowder Bid adjustments do have an impact on how often your ad is shown because bids are an important component of your ad rank. Your ad rank is determined by both your bid (Max CPC) and your quality score. Here's a helpful article that goes in-depth about ad rank, and I'd highly recommend watching the video on that page as well!