AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Google forwarding number not showing on website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'd like to track phone calls made through my website. I've grabbed the snippet from Google's help page (after adding my phone number in exactly the same way as it's laid out on the website) and pasted it into a custom HTML tag in Tag Manager. When I go directly to my website, Tag Assistant tells me that website call metrics are functioning as expected. But if I go to my website via one of our ads (in an incognito window), the phone number does not update to a Google forwarding number. Can anybody explain to me where I've gone wrong?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Hannah,

In my experience this method doesn't work through Google Tag Manager. I'd advise you ad the tag to your site header as directed in your Adwords account. Try creating the tag in Adwords conversions and then adding it to the site code directly. 

This is the only way to get call tracking to work using Tag Manager and it is actually harder than just adding the code to the header http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/06/06/adwords-call-conversion-tracking-google-tag-manager/

Kind Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Abbie,

Thank you for your reply. I've removed the snippet from tag manager and placed it just before the </head> tag in my header template. I deleted the site cache and confirmed that tag assistant was still saying the call metrics was okay, then I opened an incognito window, found one of our ads and clicked it but still no forwarding number. Any idea?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Hannah,

The code needs to go directly AFTER the OPENING <head> tag.

Is the number on your website definitely in text format? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Abbie,

So sorry for such a slow reply, I didn't get an email this time notifying me that I had a response. I've moved the tag to just below the opening <head> tag, but I'm still unable to see the Google Forwarding number. I thought it might be the caching plugin on our site so I disabled that and deleted the cache, still no good.

When you say is the number in text format, do you just mean that it's not an image or anything like that? The full code for our number is:

<span style="font-size: 16px;">0800 788 0444</span>

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I did mean that. As long as it is text format it should pull automatically. 

Can you share the actual code snippets you are using?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Abbie,

The website is here: http://lessonslearned.com 

When I view the source code I can see the snippet right at the top, which is:

<script type="text/javascript"> (function(a,e,c,f,g,h,b,d){var k={ak:"952856224",cl:"h5sPCN7N1mMQoN2txgM",autoreplace:"0800 788 0444"};a[c]=a[c]||function(){(a[c].q=a[c].q||[]).push(arguments)};a[g]||(a[g]=k.ak);b=e.createElement(h);b.async=1;b.src="//www.gstatic.com/wcm/loader.js";d=e.getElementsByTagName(h)[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(b,d);a[f]=fu... Date,e)};a[f]()})(window,document,"_googWcmImpl","_googWcmGet","_googWcmAk","script"); </script>

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not seeing any errors and the tag is loading in Tag Assistant too. 

When did you install the tag? And what does it say in your Adwords account in the conversion settings under status?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I reinstalled the tag about 2 days ago to move it just below the opening <head> tag. The conversion itself I created about a week ago in Adwords. The status is currently 'unverified'.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Abbie,

Do you have any more thoughts on this?