AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Forwarding number on website vs call extensions ?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When you want to use a forwarding number to track call on your website, Google makes it mandatory to associate an active call extension from adwords.

Since call extensions (from campaigns) and call tracking (from website) are linked, does Google display the same forwarding number on ads and website ?

Did anyone already tried ?

Thanks

I already went through the following adwords tutorials and they not mentionning this point :

Track calls to a phone number on a website

About call reporting

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Djml;

Please refrain from multiple  posting on the same topic. This is  confusing, and we find ourselves spending time  replying to questions already answered. 

We have already replied:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Mobile-Apps-and-Calls/Is-Forwarding-number-on-ad-and-websi...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm sorry @MosheTLV, my previous post was closed after getting an incomplete answer pointing to google content i already knew.

It is still unclear if Google use the same forwarding number on call extensions and website.

And before applying this to my account i'd like to be sure.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Djml

I replied to your query in the other discussion: different codes, hence different numbers.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"different codes" ?

The only code i know is website tracking call. Call extensions doesn't use any code, it's just in adwords interface.

Can you be more specific please ?

Re: Forwarding number on website vs call extensions ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Djml,

Google does not show the same phone number for Site Extensions and website call tracking. 

Important: Since Google forwarding numbers associated with your call reporting are property of Google, they can change or be reassigned. For that reason, you can't use your Google forwarding number outside of call reporting and website call conversion tracking.

On the same page you pasted the conversion tracking tag above, add a JavaScript snippet that will replace your phone number with a Google forwarding number using the _googWcmGet function. The function has these parameters: _googWcmGet(target, business_number, options)

• target: Either a CSS class name or a callback function.
    • If target is a CSS class name, all elements of that class will have their contents replaced with a formatted telephone number.
    • If target is a function, it will be invoked with two arguments. The first argument is the formatted telephone number (in the same format as the business_number parameter) The second argument is the telephone number in a plain format (Example: '18001234567').
    The target element needs to show your business number by default so that customers see a usable phone number when a Google forwarding number isn't displayed.
  • business_number: Your business phone number.
  • options: An optional object with the following options:
    • timeout: Maximum time in milliseconds that is allowed for retrieving a number. If a number cannot be fetched within this time, no number is sent to the target. The default timeout is 5000 milliseconds.
    • cache: Set to false to disable caching of the retrieved number in a cookie.

The examples below show how to implement this code snippet in 3 different use cases.

Example 1: Replace your static phone number with a Google forwarding number

This function gets a telephone number and replaces the contents of all spans of the given class. In this example, the phone number "1-800-123-4567" inside the span tag will be replaced with the dynamically generated, formatted forwarding number:

<body onload="_googWcmGet('number', '1-800-123-4567')">
		  <span class="number">1-800-123-4567</span>
		</body>

Example 2: Pass the Google forwarding number to a custom callback function

Gets a telephone number and sends it to a callback function. The example callback function will replace contents of an element with the id "number" with the formatted forwarding number.

<head> 
		  <script type="text/javascript">
		    var callback = function(formatted_number, mobile_number) {
		      // formatted_number: number to display, in the same format as
		      //        the number passed to _googWcmGet().
		      //        (in this case, '1-800-123-4567')
		      // mobile_number: number formatted for use in a clickable link
		      //        with tel:-URI (in this case, '+18001234567')
		      var e = document.getElementById("number");
		      e.innerHTML = "";
		      e.appendChild(document.createTextNode(formatted_number));
		    };
		  </script>
		</head>
		<body onload="_googWcmGet(callback, '1-800-123-4567')">
		  <span id="number">1-800-123-4567</span>
		</body>

To allow people viewing your website on a mobile phone to call your business easily, you can make the Google forwarding number clickable.

Example 3: Pass the Google forwarding number to a custom callback function on your mobile site

On mobile web pages with a clickable phone number, replace both the number that is displayed and the number that is called when clicked. This requires use of the callback function.

<head>
		  <script type="text/javascript">
		    var callback = function(formatted_number, mobile_number) {
		      // formatted_number: number to display, in the same format as
		      //        the number passed to _googWcmGet().
		      //        (in this case, '1-800-123-4567')
		      // mobile_number: number formatted for use in a clickable link
		      //        with tel:-URI (in this case, '+18001234567')
		      var e = document.getElementById("number_link");
		      e.href = "tel:" + mobile_number;
		      e.innerHTML = "";
		      e.appendChild(document.createTextNode(formatted_number));
		    };
		  </script>
		</head>
		<body onload="_googWcmGet(callback, '1-800-123-4567')">
			  <a href="tel:18001234567" id="number_link">
				1-800-123-4567</a>
		</body>

Now then, a Call Extension does not employ such tracking code. 

Hope this helps,

James

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@J Clemensand @MosheTLV: Thank you for taking time to answer, i really appreciate.

As i said i went through all officials docs already and i'm aware of the 2 different methods (i'm new to this forum but with long experience on adwords and scripts), but please consider this :

1 - when you set up adwords website call tracking you must link it to an adwords call extensions,

why Google makes it mandatory to connect them if they are really separated ?

2 - Google is saying "you can't use your Google forwarding number outside of call reporting and website call conversion tracking"

We can translate by "we may display the same phone number on your ads and to your site visitors coming from adwords, but you can't use this number on your site for visitors outside of adwords traffic source".

3 - i made a test for a few hours yesterday and it does uses the same number on call extensions and website.

Of course i can't guarantee it would use the same phone number all the time.

Finally to make things clear :

I do not intend to use the forwarding number outside of adwords purpose.

And i hope you'll agree if i say it's more consistent to display the same phone number on ads and site to visitor coming from adwords only.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Djml;

Google does not disclose reason behind  the architecture   chosen for a given feature. However, it's intentional,  and there is a reason. Google is very careful with the language it uses. And, if it  does  not guarantee the same number, this means it could be changed.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@MosheTLV@J Clemens  I finally got an answer from Google Partner Support :

Call extensions and website call tracking use the same forwarding number.

This is why they ask to link website call tracking to call extensions.

They do this to offer a consistant experience to users who see anumber on an ad and see the same phone number on the site (if he clicks on the ad only).

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Djml;

Interesting.... Can you link a documentation on that?