5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Find Your Mobile-First Keywords! #MobileMonday

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Adwords Community!

In our previous three #MobileMonday segments, we talked high-level strategy like optimizing your mobile site and “being there” for micro-moments, wherever your mobile may be.

Today, we’re diving deeper into what this means for your mobile strategy at the ground level, in your campaigns and ad groups--and in your keywords.

What’s a mobile-first query?

Mobile-first queries are search terms that are searched more often on mobile than on desktop.

Why are they important?

In general, we tend to bid on the same keywords for both mobile and desktop traffic. But by doing so, we miss out on the subtle variations and long-tail keywords that are specific to mobile users!

When we talked about micro-moments last week, we discussed how crucial it is to be available at the right time for mobile users who are often on-the-go and more impulsive than they would be if they were seated in front of a desktop computer. Having your Location Extension and Location Targeting in place are part of that, but so is thinking through what a user might search for while on-the-go versus while using a tablet at home. For example, your customers may use more abbreviations or location names when they search from mobile devices. Or if you own a restaurant, a desktop-first keyword might be "thai restaurant reservation," while your mobile first keyword is "thai food near me."

How do I find mobile-first keywords for my industry?

1. Look to your current Search campaigns for initial insights. After navigating to your Keywords tab, you can choose the Search Terms report, and segment your traffic by device. From there, take a look at your Impressions column. Are you getting nearly equal impression counts between Desktop and Mobile on your most popular search terms? Or are there some that have many more impressions on mobile devices? Keywords with significantly more impressions on mobile devices are your potential “mobile-first” keywords, and you should consider adding these to your keywords list and adjusting the keyword bid accordingly.mobile screenshot.png
  2. After you test your new mobile keywords, you may want to move these to a new, dedicated campaign. Separating these “mobile-first” keywords allows you to monitor their performance more easily, and also make important targeting and optimization decisions customized for your mobile audience. You can set a separate budget aside to make sure your ad is always eligible to serve for these keywords, create mobile-preferred ads with customized calls-to-action, or change your mobile bid adjustment to capture relevant traffic.

Mobile-first keywords will be different for each industry, so be sure to test and iterate as you go! 

a

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Find Your Mobile-First Keywords! #MobileMonday

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Have questions? Examples from your own industry? Please share below!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Cassie,

This is great information! I use this information and ad groups for my brick-and-mortar stores (furniture in particular) in particular as users are looking to transition from online to ins-tore retail purchases and we see great success bidding up on these mobile-first keyword examples!

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Glad to hear you're already using this concept, Jordan!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie

any examples to above information

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great advice Cassie, thanks for sharing.
I haven't used the device segmentation when looking into keywords , but it's a great idea and will start using it now.
Experts in the Topic
Jordan Burleson
CassieH