AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

FAQ - Universal App Campaigns #MobileMonday

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

We’ve talked about the importance of having an easy-to-use mobile site and optimizing your campaigns, ads, and keywords to drive foot traffic, phone calls, and mobile conversions.

But we haven’t yet touched upon a huge segment of advertisers who think a lot about mobile: marketers and developers of mobile apps!

If you’re new to AdWords or just new to app promotion, then perhaps the easiest place to begin is with Universal App Campaigns.

unnamed1

What is a Universal App Campaign?

A Universal App Campaign is a type of AdWords campaign which is easy to set up and automatically optimizes for app installs by rotating your ads, adjusting your bids, and setting your targeting for you. You might see this abbreviated as “UAC” here in the Community.

Where will my ads appear?

Universal App Campaigns have a wide reach, which consists of:

• The Search Network (Google Play, Google Search, and Google Search Partners)
  • YouTube (on both the app and the YouTube mobile site)
  • The Display Network (other apps and mobile websites such as news sites and blogs)

Your campaign will automatically be set to show only on compatible Android devices of users who do not currently have the app downloaded.

Can I promote my iOS app with a Universal App Campaign?

Not at this time; Universal App Campaigns are currently only available for promoting Android apps.

What are the success metrics for a UAC?

Conversions (in this case installs) and cost per conversion are the two key metrics to monitor in your campaign.

When you set up your campaign, AdWords will ask you to choose a Target CPA, or target cost per install. You should set this based on the cost per install that brings you a good return on investment, while also keeping in mind that a very low Target CPA will limit the reach of your campaign.

Be sure to set up your conversions correctly at the start of your campaign: Under Tools > Conversions > Settings, make sure your Android install “conversion bid metric” is set to “Conv. (opt)” instead of Converted Clicks.

Your campaign will take a week or two to ramp up to its normal performance. Make sure that whenever you’re reviewing the performance of your UAC that you are looking at the “Conv. (opt)” and “Cost/Conv. (opt)” columns in AdWords.

I only want to show my app in a specific part of the country/at a certain time of day/to a certain demographic. Can I do that with a UAC?

Since AdWords automates the targeting of Universal App Campaigns, you will not be able to set customized targeting for locations, ad schedule, or demographics. Keep in mind that a UAC will optimize this for you, based on where and when your cost per install is lowest. If you need a greater degree of control, you may want to use a Mobile App Install campaign instead.

Is a Universal App Campaign right for me?

Might be! Universal App Campaigns are great for advertisers who are:

• New to Google app promotion, or launching their app in a new market
  • Concentrating on app install volume
  • Comfortable with AdWords automating their campaign targeting

You may want to use a Mobile App Install or Mobile App Engagement campaign instead if you:

• Already have experience running Google app promotions
  • Are more focused on the lifetime value of users than on installations
  • Prefer more control over their campaign targeting
  • Want to promote an iOS app

Sound like a good fit? Follow these steps to get started with your first campaign!

a

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: FAQ - Universal App Campaigns #MobileMonday

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Post your questions about Universal App Campaigns below and we'll be happy to help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi CassieH,

I got a couple of questions:
1. When will the Universal App Campaigns be available for iOS applications?
2. Is it possible to track other conversions that are not installs for the CPA in Universal App Campaigns?

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Lital,

Thanks for posting to the Community! There is no launch date for Universal App Campaigns on iOS yet, so stay tuned. As for your second question, UACs are designed only for optimizing around app installs. If you would like to optimize around a different conversion, we recommend that you set up a Mobile App Engagement campaign instead: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6310653?hl=en&ref_topic=6363797

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Cassie!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi CassieH,

I made a universal app campaign for one of my gaming apps, the ad Status is shown eligible, but i am not getting any clicks or impression.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Hi @Vipin T,

Thanks for posting to the Community. I'm happy to help with you this. To start, can you tell me how long ago you set up this campaign, and whether it has ever successfully run (gotten clicks and impressions)?

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We are looking to advertise on already up and running specific apps. Is there a way to target advertising on specific apps of our choice through adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, @CassieH - it's been a little bit since you'd last responded, and I was at Casual Connect where UAC was pitched pretty hard in one of the workshop sessions, so I was wondering if there was a release date for iOS yet, or if there was anyone to reach out to to line something up for launch?

Thanks!

FAQ - Universal App Campaigns #MobileMonday

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Can you create a similar audience from your app installers?