AdWords
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Can a paid ad be used as a Universal Link on iOS?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like to know whether a paid ad appearing as a sponsored result at the top of a Google search can be used as a Universal Link on iOS and open my associated app directly.

As far as I can see, a paid search result has a link of the type google.com/aclk?some=parameters which in turn redirects to the ad target page. If that is really the case then we have an issue because tapping a direct link on iOS only will result in the application being opened. Has anybody been successful in using this as a Universal Link or am I looking at a wrong use case here?

If this is not how paid search results can be used, what sort of campaigns/products can I use for creating ads which can result in my iOS (or Android) app being opened directly on clicking that ad?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can a paid ad be used as a Universal Link on iOS?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Akash,

Thanks for posting to the Community! The good news is that you can definitely use a Universal Link to deep-link to a specific page in your app from an AdWords ad. To do this, you would want to set up an app engagement campaign designed for app promotion . Then you can follow this guide to setting up deep links.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have additional questions.
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie,

Thanks for replying to my query, and for directing to the App Engagement
campaign. It says in the document on the link that you have shared that App
Engagement campaigns are only available for Android. I am looking to
implement such a functionality for an iOS application at the moment. Is
that possible at the moment and if not, when can one expect it to be?

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Akash,

My apologies for the confusion with the link. Currently this campaign is only available targeting the Display Network: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6310666

Cassie

Can a paid ad be used as a Universal Link on iOS?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Akash,

I've come across your post whilst trying to see if i can deep link to and iOS app through AdWords - did you get anywhere with this?

Looking forward to hearing from you! Smiley Happy

Nadine