AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Can I test Google Forwarding Calls replacing a website number in a testing environment?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're launching a new website soon and part of the process is shifting all of our Tags into GTM. This includes using Google Call tracking on the website.

Thanks to the new conversion tag setup, you can now add in the telephone number you want to change manually, which we have and it definitely matches, but we unfortunately can't test if it works because the website itself is still only in a testing environment.

Apart from waiting until the new website is live, publishing the tag and clicking on an Ad, is there a way to test the number replacement will work at this stage?

Additional notes: Dev guy gave me grief for suggesting we test it on current website. "It would clash", is all I'm getting. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Can I test Google Forwarding Calls replacing a website number in a testing environment?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Good question;

Google does not offer a test environment. You could set a "sandbox" campaign and test yourself. The drawback -  the system considers it as a real live campaign, so make sure it is set as required by the policy, and  keep it active for a short period just to test  functionality. Then, remove it.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for the feedback, I do think this is probably the only workaround. We tested it briefly last but since the test environment is also IP-protected at the moment it didn't quite work. Will do some additional testing this week and see if we can put together a fix.