AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Call only Campaign: charges but no calls

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're in the very competitive home repair industry.  We live and die by the telephone.    We're running call only campaigns, but recently our expenses have shot through the roof, yet we're not receiving any calls.  We see clicks, the Adwords dashboard says there's a call, but our CRM captures no phone call.  We've tested our CRM, and there is nothing wrong with either our CRM nor our phone system. 

Ad groupDefault Max. CPCClicksImpr.CTRAvg. CPCCostAvg. Pos.Phone callsSearch Impr. sharePhone impressionsPhone cost
XX campaign$65.001205.00%$61.23$61.231.61--20$0.00

Today is a good example,  a $61.23 costs, but no call. We believe there a "bug" in the Adwords' CALL ONLY product/system that is not preventing erroneous/invalid charges.  We've reported this to Google support 21 days ago, we have not received any resolution from Google support.   Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Call only Campaign: charges but no calls

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi RJ,

There are many advertisers are there who are facing the same issue. I think (I might be wrong), Your ad charged when a user taps on the ad , as an intention to call. However a second action outside the browser is required to initiate the call, a tap on the green button of the phone app interface. User haven't initiate to call and you haven't received any call but you got charged.

There might be many more reasons too like, hanging up during ringing but before call completion, clicked by mistake.

I think you need to ask google support to confirm.

Regards,

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per our Community Guidelines, in order to remove a promotional link in your signature. Thank you for your understanding.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Nilesh,

That appears to be the exact problem. Google can create a driver-less car, but they never bothered to find a way to prevent their paying customers from being fleeced. A "call only" campaign, should be a "call only campaign, not a "sometimes call campaign."

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi RJ,

Thanks for the comment and appreciation through the star. As many of us are facing the same issue, I think google will also make some changes for the "Call Only Campaign".

Regards,
Nilesh Contractor

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Rj,

Adding a side note here, You can also check the duration of the call within adwords.

Go to dimensions tab >> select call details as view.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You've had one click. Call-only campaigns are basically mobile searches. When the prospect clicks on the ad to call, they have to take a few steps to complete the call. My guess is they clicked-to-call but never finished the process to complete the call which counted as a click. I run a few call-only campaigns for a few clients and I back it with call recording. I can now look at analytics and see how many clicks I've had and then compare it to the recorded calls. Does that make sense?

my stats can look like this: 25 clicks with 17 completed call. out of the 17 completed call I have a few that are abandoned and a few that go unanswered. The good thing is I can see the numbers and I can get alerts if we miss a call.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks all for the responses. We track every call from our CRM. This has been an issue for several weeks. We actually know some of our charges to be issues related to malicious behavior from a yet to be identified local competitor. We reported this issue to Google support 21 days ago.

We're getting attacked by some person(s) every time we turn on our campaign. It's costing us thousands of dollars. I provided Analytic reports, Phone logs, EVERYTHING to Google. After 21 days of talking with our Adword support rep nearly every day. The omnipotent conclusion from Google's black ops team (the Invalid clicks department) is that nothing is wrong, we're seeing the appropriate clicks/costs to our account and there is not recourse, no form of mitigation. We strongly believe this to be a ridiculous result. Google have FIXED nothing, DONE NOTHING! We can't run a campaign without getting attacked, and then we apparently pay Google for the privilege of getting ripped off.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi RJ,

We are getting the same issue, where you able to get a support from the google? or was this resolve?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi ians n,

Please visit https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1385067 or use worldwide helpline number 1800-258-2554.

Regards,

Nilesh