AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Call-Only Ad data

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has run an experiment to see if call-only ads receive a more positive Click Through Rate if the Call-To-Action is in Description Line 1 as opposed to Description Line 2 seeing as we cannot create a mega headline with call only ads. 

Anyone who has not run an experiment but does have some knowledge in this area is also welcome to share their wisdom!

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian S
September 2016

Re: Call-Only Ad data

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jillian S,

Almost a week passed since you posted the query and only @CassieH replied. Seems no one has data to share on this. Nor do I. I am only posting what I "think".

The question relates to something we could call cyber-psychology, rather than the usual metrics advertisers actually do monitor and follow. A few years ago I read an article on it that referred to alleged experiments carried out by the authors. Their finding was that users' mind typically does not recognize the entire wording of a text ad and most of their decisions - whether to click on it or not - are triggered by their unconscious. As you move your eyes from the top left of the advert to the bottom right, less and less attention is left on the items. 

Based on the above I would not be surprised to learn that the impact of the first line exceeds that of the second one. However, it is up to you to decide whether or not the call-to-action is the most important part of your message.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jillian,

Thanks for posting to the Community! We don't currently have this kind of experimental data on the Google side of things, but I'll leave the conversation open to other advertisers who may have experience with this and be able to offer to some guidance.

Cassie
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jillian S
September 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jillian S,

Almost a week passed since you posted the query and only @CassieH replied. Seems no one has data to share on this. Nor do I. I am only posting what I "think".

The question relates to something we could call cyber-psychology, rather than the usual metrics advertisers actually do monitor and follow. A few years ago I read an article on it that referred to alleged experiments carried out by the authors. Their finding was that users' mind typically does not recognize the entire wording of a text ad and most of their decisions - whether to click on it or not - are triggered by their unconscious. As you move your eyes from the top left of the advert to the bottom right, less and less attention is left on the items. 

Based on the above I would not be surprised to learn that the impact of the first line exceeds that of the second one. However, it is up to you to decide whether or not the call-to-action is the most important part of your message.

Best,

Lakatos

Call-Only Ad data

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for sharing @Lakatos

I see you said it was a few years ago that you read this article however if you happen to stumble across it would you please send me a link?

Thanks again.

Call-Only Ad data

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Positive, I would ... Smiley Happy

Call-Only Ad data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jillan:

Yesterday was my first day of running call only ad. We are in internet, cable and home phone industry. Without any experience of running any campaign I ran for two hour received 3 clicks 3 calls for around for $15.5. I am pretty excited and would keep on sharing my results.But, they do work on my last job as employee we were receiving around 1000 calls per day.