AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding Down Mobile traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All - Can someone please tell me how to stop getting mobile traffic to this campaign completely?

I have another call only campaign running that I would like to divert traffic to and want to just have desktop traffic flowing to this campaign.

despite bidding down mobile -100% I am still getting traffic.

Help?

Thank you

ScreenShot

http://screencast.com/t/bG8lN07D

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Bidding Down Mobile traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It will take some time and the computer may not be fast enough to pick up your dayparting.

I might consider making 2 campaigns. 1 of them always on mobile and 1 of them always off mobile. Then day-part them during the desired hours. That should be an easy work around.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey James

Are you sure you are looking at the correct date range? That would be my best guess to why you are seeing data on mobile devices.

Todd

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Todd,
Thank you for replying - This is from today.
http://screencast.com/t/IW8lshAX
I'm toggling off mobile at 9am and back on at 4pm to allow my customer service staff to answer call for call only ads.
Is there propagation time for the bids to adjust?
I'm going to leave it on tonight and see what happens,
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It will take some time and the computer may not be fast enough to pick up your dayparting.

I might consider making 2 campaigns. 1 of them always on mobile and 1 of them always off mobile. Then day-part them during the desired hours. That should be an easy work around.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Todd - I have pretty good QS with this campaign but I may move just the mobile portion to another permanently to have a better handle on this.
Thanks for the help.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No problem. If you have any other questions would love to help. Tweet <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Have a great day!!

Please note that, per our Community Guidelines, we ask that Community members neither ask for nor offer personal help outside of the Community itself. Similarly, we ask that members do not provide their contact information in their forum posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi James,

I could think of two possibilities here:

1. You may have implemented the negative bid adjustment on Mobiles mid day ( during the day) and the data is from the time the bid adjustment was not active. I understand this may not be the case but it is one of the only plausible explanations here

2. Do you have any Mobile preferred ads in the said campaign? If yes, ,maybe switching them off may help you resolve this issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shashank
Thank you for replying.
Let me lay it out and see if this makes sense

I have one pretty successful campaign showing on all devices.
I want to take all of the mobile traffic from that campaign and send it to CLICK TO CALL only ads from 9a-4pm Monday-Thursday
Outside of the above time frame - I want the mobile traffic to flow normally with the other devices.

How would you best set that up?

Thank you you in advance,
James

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @James L your key problem is that changes to AdWords settings can take some time to propagate across the system so it's unlikely you'll get "clean" cut-offs at precisely 9am/4pm.  How much of a problem that is depends upon your needs.  Generally speaking, if you know you want a split like this and it's one you'll want to keep long term, it's better to build an Account structure that doesn't involve changes but which use settings.  The difference is that changes need to be propagated across the system, which takes time, whereas settings are already "set" in all servers across the system so can be enacted at a more precise time.

So, in this case I'd definitely have the 9am to 4pm call only as a separate Campaign, scheduled to run for those hours.  What you do with the other existing Campaign then depends upon how important it is that the Ads stop/start precisely.  If you can allow a little cross-over, then I'd probably allow it to run as it is now, and I'd use Automated Rules to change your mobile bid adjustment at the appropriate times.  If you really want a precise change over, you'll need to split this existing Campaign into two, exact duplicates, then set one to run 9am - 4pm with a bid adjustment of -100% and the other covering the remaining hours you require using your normal mobile adjustment (if any).

As an aside, if you're targeting the whole of the US, you will of course have to have separate Campaigns for each Time Zone as all scheduled changes are carried out based upon the Account Zone, so if your Account Zone is Pacific, changing your adjustment at 9am won't happen until 12 midday in New York.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, Thanks for the great analysis and recommendation.
I am going to opt for the slight overlap and maintaining just the 2 campaigns.
I understand there will be some latency in a rule that negates mobile bids - 9a-4p
Also thanks for the time zone advice.... my idea is to make call only ads available when my customer service team can take a live call 9a-4p eastern.
Lastly - I can't seem to find how to create an Automated Bid Rule that will only affect mobile (search adwords documentation) Am I overlooking it?
Thanks again for you help - I really appreciate it.
James