AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Best Process for Account Setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I'm looking for advice on the best way to setup an account. My client is marketing in 5 specific cities only and there are 3 specific keywords they want to target. Is it best to create 5 campaigns, one for each city, then in each city to create adgroups for each keyword then to work off a shared budget OR to create 1 campaign and 3 adgroups, one for each keyword. Also I am working with a small budget here. For my locations 

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Terry,

Both options will work and I know many that have gone with option A and many that have gone with option B.

For me personally, I like option A with five campaigns. I think it brings more control of the budget and allows better optimization of the account. Reporting also looks better and things will make more sense months down the road.

As for the budget, I would give each campaign it's own budget versus shared. A shared budget can be great for a large account but it won't ensure performance for all five campaigns since the budget can be allocated for best ROI. This is a great feature however if I wanted to ensure all five locations were streaming ads, I would want to dedicate a budget to each campaign and optimize conversions for the goals I wanted... which would also provide a positive ROI. A shared budget is much like option B where you are giving the budget to the campaign and the best performing ad groups are going to get more money. If this is okay with client, there is nothing wrong with this, but if the client wants ads streaming for all five locations, you need option A with a dedicated budget for each campaign. 

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James

Thanks for the feedback. Your recommendaton to option A would be doable for me if I had the budget but unfortunately I don't. I like the idea of ads streaming for all 5 locations but again I don't have that budget. Glad to see that the two of my options would be viable. Thanks for the information. Definitely food for thought.