AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn how to reach mobile device users, drive phone calls, and increase app installs
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Call Forwarding - Does it show on desktop that can't make calls?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey all,

I have a 2 part question/analysis that has had me perplexed for some time now.

I recently had a client that wanted call forwarding to be turned on when it previously wasn't so i made the change for them. After making the change, i decided to follow up in the account just to make sure everything was now working properly and that is when i discovered 2 things that i have tried to clear up by looking at all my other client accounts but am still confused on...

1) Does a call forwarding number show on a desktop device that does not have the ability to make phone calls?

I started my search by checking on the client i just added call forwarding to, and discovered the forwarding number was not showing. Now, I AM AWARE that there is a minimum threshold your adgroups have to meet in order for the call forwarding number to show.. this account has met that "undefined" threshold.

However, just to confirm i went into one of my other client accounts that has been running for years and is almost a 100% phone call based traffic account that has call forwarding on. I did a google search for them and realized their business number was showing and not a forwarding number as well. I completed this same test with one additional client and came to the same realization once again.

I could have sworn that previously I would see call forwarding numbers when ever I did "live tests" for my clients, but it appears that is not the case. Am I correct in this realization that call forwarding numbers do not show on desktops that don't have the ability to make phone calls?

2) For call extensions with call forwarding on mobile devices - The static business number is showing UNTIL the number is clicked and the "call" or "cancel" box pops up, then the google forwarding number is showing

I am aware that the minimum click threshold mentioned above does not apply to mobile, so in order to check my call forwarding extension for the client that requested the change, I double checked on my mobile device. At first, i thought the number was still not working, but when i click on the call extension the call box that pops up then has the google forwarding number.

Once again, just to double check these findings i tested on multiple accounts and found the same things to be true. Is this how it has always been? Is there a way to change this?

Not sure how these have both slipped by me for so long but after doing a lot of searching online I could not find any definitive info on these questions, but maybe I'm missing the obvious?

Thanks for the help!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Re: Adwords Call Forwarding - Does it show on desktop that can't make calls?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Robby H,

1.) For desktop calls, we use a variety of different metrics and signals such as clicks, country, verticals etc. to allocate GFNs. Google continuously monitor these metrics and may remove GFNs if they determine that the thresholds are not met. At a later point if the metrics meet the thresholds, they will allocate GFNs again.

2.) Mobile Google Forwarding numbers are dynamic and can and often show different numbers for each CID.

If a device actually calls the Google Forwarding Number within the limited time frame Google can map the call from the same device to the advertiser days later. However, if the number was not called shortly after the ad impression, and the number is called later from a different device, then the number can be allocated to a different advertiser or may be no longer active. 

So it makes sense why the number that is shown for mobile call extensions is the advertiser's number because if the number is saved for later and not called, then it will be the advertisers' number which is not dynamically changing for new devices like the Adwords mobile GFN.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Re: Adwords Call Forwarding - Does it show on desktop that can't make calls?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Robby H,

1.) For desktop calls, we use a variety of different metrics and signals such as clicks, country, verticals etc. to allocate GFNs. Google continuously monitor these metrics and may remove GFNs if they determine that the thresholds are not met. At a later point if the metrics meet the thresholds, they will allocate GFNs again.

2.) Mobile Google Forwarding numbers are dynamic and can and often show different numbers for each CID.

If a device actually calls the Google Forwarding Number within the limited time frame Google can map the call from the same device to the advertiser days later. However, if the number was not called shortly after the ad impression, and the number is called later from a different device, then the number can be allocated to a different advertiser or may be no longer active. 

So it makes sense why the number that is shown for mobile call extensions is the advertiser's number because if the number is saved for later and not called, then it will be the advertisers' number which is not dynamically changing for new devices like the Adwords mobile GFN.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

1) Does a call forwarding number show on a desktop device that does not have the ability to make phone calls?

Yes, depending on your settings. Segment by click type and make sure your call details columns are enabled. You can also review the call details report in the dimensions tab for further analysis. If you aren't accruing any manually dialed impressions for the account, then double check your call extension settings and make sure you don't have "mobile preferred" selected. 

2) For call extensions with call forwarding on mobile devices - The static business number is showing UNTIL the number is clicked and the "call" or "cancel" box pops up, then the google forwarding number is showing

Typically you only see a call button for mobile ads. Is a phone number actually showing in the ad?

The volume thresholds still apply, regardless of device. However, the ratio of phone impressions to mobile clicks to call impressions can be up to 100%. That doesn't mean the rules don't apply. It just means you are reaching the threshold and accruing a high volume of call forwarding number impressions. You don't get any desktop data for standard phone number impressions, only call forwarding phone number impressions. So you can't make the same comparison for desktop devices.

Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

I was wrong... Sr. called me out on this today. You are on to something. But, there hasn't been any official documentation published that I am yet aware of.

I'm seeing tings in one place that I am not seeing in others.

There is something to this. I apologize for assuming. Smiley Happy

Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Robby H

Are you using local extensions as well (in conjunction with call extensions)? This could be the issue.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Actually, I am not using Location extensions for this account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yes i well complete try work on track