Small Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Youtube URL prior to launch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I'm a bestselling travel author, launching a new book in September with an extensive companion site and Youtube channel with 60+ videos.  I'm trying to claim my URL, have followed the verification steps, and Webmaster Central says my site is verified.  

But the option to customize my Youtube URL does not appear.  Prior to launch, I only have about two dozen subscribers, but I expect hundreds if not thousands to follow once I can promote the correct URL when the book launches.  The problem is I need to add the Youtube channel URL to the print copy of the book (youtube.com/globalbucketlist) to point people in the right direction, but I don't have the option to claim that URL, so how could I possibly count on using it in the books and pre-launch marketing materials?

If Coca Cola was launching a new product, am I to believe they wouldn't be able to launch with a branded URL Youtube channel simply because they don't have 100 subscribers yet? 

The whole process seems impossibly convoluted, and doesn't encourage one to use Youtube as a marketing tool at all.     

Can anyone help? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Youtube URL prior to launch

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @The Great G,

I understand your frustration with the process and can only suggest a few things to see if it helps you. 

To get a custom URL for your channel, your account needs to meet these requirements:

• Have 100 or more subscribers
  • Be at least 30 days old
  • Have an uploaded photo as channel icon
  • Have uploaded channel art

You can also qualify for a custom URL that aligns with your web domain by linking and verifying your official webpage with your connected Google+ page.

If you're qualified for a custom URL, you'll see a notice in your advanced account settings, receive an email notification, and may see a notification in your Creator Studio dashboard.

To get your custom URL, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to YouTube and go to your advanced account settings.
  2. Under "Channel settings," select the link to claim your custom URL.
  3. In the "Get a custom URL" box, you'll see the custom URL(s) you've been approved for. You can't change these, but you may need to add a few letters or numbers to make the URL unique to you.
  4. Select the box next to "I agree to the Terms of Service," then click Change URL.
  5. Keep in mind that the custom URL will be linked to both your YouTube channel and your Google+ identity. Once your URL has been approved, you can't request to change it. When you're sure this is the URL you want, click Confirm choice.

Once selected, your audience can reach your channel by going to to either youtube.com/c/creatoracademy oryoutube.com/creatoracademy (note that we are using the Creator Academy channel as an example here, your URL will be unique to your channel). Both URLs will redirect to your channel homepage.

If you want to change the capitalization, accents, or diacritics of your custom URL, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to Google+.
  2. In the top left corner, click the profile icon and go to the page or profile associated with your YouTube channel.
  3. Click the About tab.
  4. On the "Links" card, click Edit.
  5. Make edits to the URL's formatting, then click Save.

Keep in mind that you can only change the capitalization and diacritics of the URL, not the URL itself.

Further, I am not sure if this works or not, but it suggests you can bypass the need for 100 subscribers. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks James

I tried this:
"You can also qualify for a custom URL that aligns with your web domain by linking and verifying your official webpage with your connected Google+ page."

I linked and verified the domain name and connected the Google+ page, but I still don't see a Custom URL field appear under Advanced Account Settings. Essentially I'm doing what the help pages said I should do, but then nothing is happening. Hence the frustration...there has been some sort of change with the Custom URL but the help instructions do not reflect it.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @The Great G,

You are very welcome.... I am sorry you are still have issues. I will review further.

How new is your YouTube channel? Did you try the link in the very paragraph of my previous answer? 

Kind Regards,

James