Small Business
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Will my website get penalized?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I've a client http://www.suresealpavement.com/, who has hired a third party content marketing firm for his business. The firm has created several secondary domains like

http://pavementmaintenance.ca/ and http://pavementmaintenancegta.com/ (there are around 250+). Also, they have one sub-domain http://maintain.suresealpavement.com/ which hosts some blog articles and some articles are directly linked to the sub-domains mentioned above.

Now, he had added these domains in a single day and hence there is a spike in my backlink data. My main concern is to avoid the Google penalties. How Google treats such practices? Will my site get penalized? I'm seeing drop in my keyword rankings, especially for local terms in local pack.

I'm thinking of moving the content from these sec domain to my main domain (say under /blog/) and then redirect them to the individual /blog post. As Google has already crawled the content on these domains, will my site get any benefits from the content. How can I tell Google to remove the sec domains from their index?

Please help.

Thanks,

Prashant W.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will my website get penalized?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Prashant,

I can offer what you may want to consider.

Without providing the excerpts from Google Guidelines (time crunch) that can be helpful to you, it is my understanding that the Google Guidelines considers the use of more than one domain safe as long as the content found on each to be unique and *not similar* to that which can be found on one of the 250+. I know this to be covered here... (maybe not on this exact page of the guidelines.)
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

Google Small Business Advisor
# 3
@Prashant W - I always say... "if you need to ask if it's right or wrong... it's probably wrong." Just in my feelings, it's not a good idea... but that's just what I think. I know people and companies do it, but I think eventually the house-of-cards is going to fall and they'll be penalized.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I should add that Google does try to provide ample time to for webmasters to align with Guidelines. In this case, I would ask the benefactor to again consider the Google Guidelines.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you guys @BrandonSchaefer and @David F.
The content on these secondary domain is unique but they have too many links pointing to the main domain, which I think is not advisable.

Also, should I just move the content to my website (say under /blog/) and redirect the secondary domains directly to my site? Will I get any advantage from the same?

# 6
I'm not sure @Prashant W, hopefully someone with that knowledge will see this thread and answer this question for you.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, thank you Brandon. Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Prasshant,

I am working on a reply now. ( :

I first will need a couple of readings...

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Prashant W

Although these 250+ sites have unique content, it's still a poor strategy overall.  All the sites have the same address and phone number and have the same goal of obtaining leads for the same business.  I don't think it's causing your main site harm, but it certainly isn't helping things.  It appears to me that Google has already identified these other sites as part of a "scheme' and have devalued them.  None of them rank for querying the phone number "416-410-3705"  or even the business name, "Sure Seal Pavement Maintenance."

There are arguments for having a blog on one domain vs same domain. I personally prefer same domain /blog as you mentioned, but having another domain or subdomain for a blog is certainly okay.  It appears your client is creating a new domain for each blog post. That's not okay, and is waste of time, money, and resources for your client.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Prashant W
July 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Prasshant,

I do agree with you and think it a good idea to move the content to your main domain. (This may cause a temporary high beta reaction to your sites rankings, but is a path that I would take concerning the content is already linked to the main site.

After examining what is currently visible in Googles index, I think a re-direction (i.e. 301) and not just a simple “cut and paste” to be what I consider the best path to take. This appears to be in your control after considering WHOIS information for the domains mentioned.

1) I first recommend taking precautions and pay close attention to possible duplicate content before adding a respective page to suresealpavement.com from the 250+ domains. (I can confirm that you are already using this element and have a good understanding of this task)

For example, if you find that a subject of the respective page from the 250+ to be already indexed by Google? I would then first consider adding the content to an already existing page that can be found on your website and/or domain.

There is an easy way to find pages that you will need to consider. Just Google the subject along with your domain. It will show pages on your site that best present relative content to match the subject.
(i.e. pavement maintenance Ontario suresealpavement.com)

(IMPORTANT NOTE: I also recommend when defining duplicate content you include a strong consideration for the “SIMILAR” attribute. For those pages, you decide to be unique from the 250+ and that you determine to provide a new or unique value to a respective website visitor and best presented as a stand-alone page, you are ready to take the next step.

2) Before adding the content, there are a few steps which if taken will prove beneficial. Lets start with the URI. For this example I will use one taken from the 250+. Namely, pavementmaintenancegta.com.

Example: Run a keyword density report for the content you are adding. This will help you determine the best words for your TITLE and which are found in the BODY TEXT in the development of these two elements. (i.e. URL and Title )

After a careful review of the content found at, pavementmaintenancegta.com, I can recommend a re-direct to a URL resembiling one of the two below.

suresealpavement.com/pavement-maintenance
( or )
suresealpavement.com/ontario/pavement-maintenance

You can find further help with URL structure here…
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/76329?hl=en

The TITLE:

I should mention that I have read Google doctrine that suggests that “ideally you will want to include your online signature/brand in the title”. That said, I can recommend considering the following for the the title.

Pavement Maintenance Toronto: Sure Seal Pavement

Below is the supporting word density’s currently found in the body text for which I see supports the recommended title. NOTE: As I am not familiar with your niche, I was un sure if further consideration and inclusion of “GTA” to be warranted?

pavement maintenance experts 6 2.41%
pavement maintenance 16 4.28%
toronto 3 0.40%

As I see it, these 250+ domains are skating too close to possibly being interpreted as part of a method to game the search engines. I do agree with David K and the comment shared to a point, as I can assure you, that providing the content in ways that include the consideration of those steps for which I have recommended should be rewarding to your cause.
Even if there is a penalty, I rarely find any other path than one that includes a painstaking correction for the preservation of authority and other factors. I loose many prospective clients that do not agree. There is no gamming or easy way to correct some elements linked to search results. There is always the best and right path to take. I hope the one I shared helps you.

CONCLUSION:
After examining the WHOIS and other reports, this definitely does not appear to be intentional (to me) by the website owner and I can confirm similar methods are still in use by other websites.

Simply, I rarely recommend paths which do not include a fix and in this case, I do not see the total dismissal of the respective content a benefit.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,

David