Small Business
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Why Small Businesses Should Focus on Mobile

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

So, you as a small business owner or entrepreneur have products or services you want to sell online. You are asking, "Should I invest more in mobile advertising?"

The news and trends globally are clearly answering, "Yes." With trillions of global searches on Google per year, and over half of those searches happening on smartphones and tablets, it's clear that the question is not "If" you should invest in mobile marketing, but "how much" you should invest.

According to Google Senior Vice President of Advertising and Commerce, Sridhar Ramaswamy, the mobile ad marketing revolution is on. "Mobile changes everything. It's happening right now. More than half the world searches the Web on mobile devices."

The Mobile Advertising Revolution is On

Mobile ad spending is expected to top $100 billion globally in 2016, capturing 51% of the digital ad market--a majority in mobile ads, for the first time ever. The $100 billion figure represents a 430% increase from 2013.

The U.S. and China will account for 62% of global ad spending on mobile devices this year. U.S. advertisers alone will spend over $40 billion on mobile advertising in 2016. This represents around $130 per U.S. resident.

And, mobile ad viewers are responsive. Mobile ads through Google are designed to tailor-make the visibility of their (your) ads dovetail with users' shopping or search habits in a highly personalized way.

"The technology behind store visits is revolutionary," says Jerry Dischler, Google VP of Search Ads, in a recent talk as part of a recent Google Performance Summit. "Location-related mobile searches are growing 50% faster than mobile searches overall, just in the past year," Dischler adds.

This should perk up the ears small business owners who may fret over online ad budgets. What else should draw their interest? Dischler also says, "30% of all mobile-related searches are location-related. 90% of actual purchases prompted by mobile ad searches will still happen in brick and mortar stores."

The Focus on Mobile Advertising

Focusing on local advertising online--specifically, on doing a Mobile Preferred Ads campaign through Google, via an Enhanced Campaign, which will get your ad content creations seen on literally any screen any given user is searching on.

This means that it will hit those in your location searching for your products or services searching on smartphones, iPads, and other mobile devices. You simply create the text ads the same way you would in a standard Google AdWords campaign, but through the Enhanced Campaigns Mobile Preferred Ads feature, anyone searching anywhere typing in your keywords will see your ad on their device.

Mobile device users are out on the go, generally, or are much more apt to at least have the ad make an impression upon them.

The Google mobile ad feature also makes the ad even more attractive by making them more relevant and searchable to users who are looking for that very product or service, so won't be offended by the "irrelevant pop-up". These ads are designed to seamlessly converge with on-the-go user habits anyway, as Dischler points out in his Google talk.

Connecting Mobile Showrooms to the Physical Showroom

Another amazing statistic shared by Dichsler is that fully one-third of those who click on the search ad will visit the actual, physical store location. In the case of Jerome's Furniture, located in Southern California, their 82% rise in investment in mobile advertising produced a 93% increase in sales.

"These brands are delivering in the moments that matter by providing useful, local information to users looking to buy according to those exact parameters," says Dischler. Other facts related in the Google Performance Summit that prove that mobile ads are bringing more customers into brick-and-mortar store locations:

• Over 1 billion people currently use Google Maps
  • Google Maps is enhanced by mobile ads and users seeking them out
  • There are 1.5 billion monthly destination visits related to Google searches
  • Mobile ads make search results much more specific to unique user parameters
  • Mobile ad results are ordered to users' locations and specified needs, and are therefore more effective
  • Businesses doing mobile ads can broadcast inventory and other store info through smartphones and tablets
  • "Promoted Pins" will single out certain businesses featuring special offers or discounts in mobile ad searches
  • On average, the overall number of mobile-driven physical store visits exceeded online purchase conversions (in one Google study)
  • Google Analytics 360 Suite designed and based on user feedback to better streamline mobile advertising stats and data integration

Making the Statistics Profitable For You

The study in the recent Google Summit Conference related many staggering statistics that, if well harnessed by business owners, will deliver a huge payoff. Another of these standout figures: mobile ads proved a 25-to1 ROI for mobile ad buyers.  So, what are you waiting for?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why Small Businesses Should Focus on Mobile

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Welcome to the Google Small Business Community, @Troy M! Thanks for sharing the great write-up—those jaw-dropping stats should make it easy for a small business owner to realize how important mobile can be. What do you think is the best first step a business can take towards going mobile?

To supplement this excellent write-up, I invite you all to check out some of our previous articles. We've shared quite a few tips and advice on how small businesses can improve their mobile presence.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Its mind blowing how fast mobile has grown.

Some ideas on Mobile Best Practice for businesses launching themselves into a mobile world and also understanding your customers intent when they are searching online.

Understanding-your-Customers-Intent

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

I think small businesses need to have a handle on who their customer/users are and decide on what functions they need for their mobile websites. I'm surprised at how some small businesses I have worked with have a website that is functionally great on desktop but needs tuning up for mobile users.

Focus on mobile first Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Certainly agree there @Troy M

Speak to your web designer about building for mobile which will translate into an equally intuitive desktop site.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Google Small Business Advisor
# 6
Google Small Business Advisor
Thanks for the write up... some amazing statistics!