Small Business
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Where Best to Post?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hoping someone in the community might be able to answer this...

Is it better to post Business-related content directly to a personal Google Plus page or would the better path be the respective Google Plus found supporting businesses local search? 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David F
July 2016

Re: Where Best to Post?

[ Edited ]
Google Small Business Advisor
# 4

Hi, @David F! Good question. I think you'll get a nuanced answer from most of us, but here are my thoughts:

1) How are the engagement metrics from posts to your Google+ profile versus the Google+ (business) Page? That should determine, to some extent, where from the content originates.

2) As a good practice, there's no harm in originating the content from the owner/subject-matter expert (SME)/thought leader, then sharing from his or her profile post to the Google+ (business) Page. This works more when you're trying to organize original thought leadership from subject-matter expertise. Makes sense?

3) Finally, which should have probably been the first question/point, is this content (the full post) originating on G+ or is it some portion of a post + link back to a blog or YouTube channel? I think if it's originating from anywhere outside G+, then you are using both the profile and page as a syndication channel, not as a social channel, and I would push to both of them.

I'm curious about what the other Google Small Business Advisors thoughts are on this subject. Good luck, David!

View solution in original post

# 2
Not sure I understand the 'respective Google Plus found supporting businesses local search' bit... may you please explain and I'll be sure to provide you with the best suggested path.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry +BrandonShaefer,

I actually get that...

What I was trying to refer to was as an owner of a business which has a presence in optimal SERP's considered to be popular with end users of Google search. Would it best to focus authority in our niche on the owners profile (which I think related to the business authority already) or would better to post our business related content directly on our business Google Plus?

Also, thank you for any light you my provide. ( :

David
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David F
July 2016

[ Edited ]
# 4

Hi, @David F! Good question. I think you'll get a nuanced answer from most of us, but here are my thoughts:

1) How are the engagement metrics from posts to your Google+ profile versus the Google+ (business) Page? That should determine, to some extent, where from the content originates.

2) As a good practice, there's no harm in originating the content from the owner/subject-matter expert (SME)/thought leader, then sharing from his or her profile post to the Google+ (business) Page. This works more when you're trying to organize original thought leadership from subject-matter expertise. Makes sense?

3) Finally, which should have probably been the first question/point, is this content (the full post) originating on G+ or is it some portion of a post + link back to a blog or YouTube channel? I think if it's originating from anywhere outside G+, then you are using both the profile and page as a syndication channel, not as a social channel, and I would push to both of them.

I'm curious about what the other Google Small Business Advisors thoughts are on this subject. Good luck, David!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for sharing. Yes, #2 does make sense.

# 6
Great, David!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni
Personally I would base my content on my business website blog. Then I would distribute it to my social network profiles. If I had a business profile as well as a personal profile (with different audiences on each) I would post it to both profiles.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello +MikeJohnston ,

My only concern is that I am in the camp that considers a pages percentage of "original content" to be an important ranking factor going forward. This is supported by considering some Google doctrine and quotes made by one of G's most veteran "ranking engineers". Thoughts?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni
Wit a website this is true but not with social network pages. The whole idea of social networking is likes and shares and the like and so a LOT of pages end up having exactly the same pieces of content.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Interesting...

I appreciate your share. So, if I understand your view. A Google Plus that uses a posting agency who shares exact same titles, thin content to introduce the share of another's original content, to not be a concern? It is more about likes, comments and additional shares?

Thank you for your share on this! Definitely, has been a concern.