Small Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

What's the best thing you've done to market your business?

Google Small Business Advisor
# 1

I'd like to learn from you and discover what has worked in terms of marketing your business... email, social media, paid ads... or anything else. No links please, just your experiences. Thanks.

4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BrandonSchaefer
July 2016

Re: What's the best thing you've done to market your business?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Great question, @BrandonSchaefer! I'm also very interested in learning from small business owners what has worked out for them.

Over the past two years, our team has shared tons of great articles, tips and videos to help small business owners best market their business. If you're a small business owner who hasn't yet started to aggressively market your business, I definitely recommend checking out one of our previous articles, which details five steps to take before marketing your business.

I'd love to learn which techniques have been most successful, so please don't hesitate to share your experiences!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @BrandonSchaefer, this is a great topic, no doubt. 

I would start with a modern, clean and concise website that is mobile-responsive. This is the foundation to any business presence today.

From here, I would setup a Google Analytics account and add the tracking code to all of the pages of the website.

Next, I would setup a Google My Business page and/or verify your online presence by doing a search with Google GYBO.

Next, I would add the website to Google Search Console. This will be invaluable as time marches on.

Next, I would create a Google Adwords account and link it to the Google Analytics and Google Search Console accounts. 

Now that these primary needs are in place, it's time to generate some general traffic to the website while we spend some time developing a marketing plan, which is different for each type of business. We need to figure out who your customers are so we can focus in and target them. And we need to set some marketing goals so that we can think logical in obtaining traffic that will convert. Far too many new business owners focus on clicks and traffic... when you need to be focusing on goals and conversions. 

Once you have these elements set, dive into Google Adwords (or get some help from someone experienced) and start some pay per click campaigns.

While Adwords is working, spend time creating all of the social media profiles/pages you are interested in having and those that align with your products or services.

Now, it is time to crank things up with professional business cards, post cards and flyers... and get them into the hands of friends, family, prospects and anyone you can that may need what you have/do. Keep some cards on you at all times and get out and about. Don't be cheap with these items... make them super sharp... they represent you, and you represent your company! 

Attend chamber functions, community clubs (Rotary, etc.), charity events and anything happening that you can attend. Don't sell yourself at these events... shake hands and meet people and been seen. Politely discuss what you do in 5 seconds or less.... rehearse this and come up with a catchy phrase. Be genuine and be uniquely you. Be gracious and be kind, no matter what. People buy from people they like, it's as simple as that.

This is a quick action summary of the basics. At the very least, all of these things should be done to market a business in today's consumer market space. They will serve you well and I leave lots of room to expand on and build from, too, so ponder it all and take it further. Robot Happy

Happy Friday and be Google great!

- James

# 4

@J Clemens and @Brielle B - thanks so much for both of your responses... they're both extremely helpful. Enjoy your weekend!

A G
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
A G
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Very good question! I would definitely have to say organic link building with a combination of strategic social media. My company promotes education for small businesses (with an emphasis on brick and mortar) but online businesses as well. What we have found works great is organically building links to rank in Google. When the content is concise with no fluff and genuinely good information it is not as difficult to have people share (many passively). Collaborating with influential individuals who can contribute their own valuable insight to your content helps as well. We have actually been doing more on the guest post front as well which introduces us to new audiences.

# 6

@A G - awesome insights... thanks for sharing!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Online I have had the most luck with blogging and posting to communities on the web and video.

Offline I have had the best results from public speaking and in person meet and greet type events.