Small Business
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

What if all websites were the same ?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

We have been talking about content this month and perhaps the easiest way to understand the value of content is to imagine that all websites where essentially the same.  That is not to say that they all have the same content on them and the same title or images but that they are the same in their on-site SEO.  Imagine every website conforms to google best practices in web design in mobile friendliness and loading speed.

What then would differentiate one site from on another?  The answer is the content on the individual sites. Those with the content that best meets the needs and expectations of the people that come to the site are the ones that will inevitably rise to the top. 

Because all websites are not the same today content is just one of many things about a website that can be controlled and improved to gain competitive advantage but it is ultimately one of the most important things .

2 Expert replyverified_user

Google Small Business Advisor
# 2
Google Small Business Advisor

Good point, @MikeJohnston! The question I always ask clients when they are producing any new page, resource, or post for their website or blog or YouTube channel or anywhere is, "what is the value you are providing your audience?" This unearths three fundamental components:

(A) you need to know your audience (and if it's a larger audience, they need to be broken down into Buyer Personas of smaller segments),

(B) you need to know what's of value to your audience, and finally,

(C) you need to be able to provide (or obtain) then create that value for them.

People value different things...some value humor, some expediency, some relevance, etc. The more you can determine the substance of most importance to your target audience, the greater your value inures to your Small Business' benefit.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: SEO

My website is PHP with a link to a WordPress blog which was added later. I'm now, 3 years in, at the point where I'd like to move the entire site into WordPress for ease of management. The URL and server would be the same, but the PHP would go away and links would be different. I'm concerned my short term SEO would plummet. Has anyone made such a move? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @John W Wordpress is my favorite website platform but it is written in PHP language http://www.wpbeginner.com/glossary/php/

That said, it is also one of the easiest and most fully developed web design platforms for most businesses. 

If you would care to share a link to your site I would be happy to have a look at it and we can talk about how you could improve it.