Small Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Still not appearing in Google Search...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am a small domestic renovations company. I've been trading on word of mouth for about 5 years, but want more inquiries. I've created a website, and been aware of SEO by Alt tagging all images etc. I have also registerd with Google My Business and had many reviews left by happy customers. 

However, when I type in 'Bathroom Design Exeter' my business is nowhere to be seen. There are loads of businesses with tenuous links to this apperaing, including one that's closed down over 10 years ago!!! Please help me to get on the top of the list!!!!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gareth p
August

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @David L and @Gareth P

This is not really a 'problem', but more of an example of how Google works (and there is a lot more to SEO than just alt tagging a few images Smiley Happy ).

This question has been answered in other forums and comes up a bit, but allow me to respond again here.

There are two possible cases:

1. If your business listing has been verified and you search for your exact business name or phone number, your listing should appear.

2. If you search for a business category or keywords related to your business - or category, location (for example 'bathroom Design Exeter') your business listing may not appear. How Google determines which businesses appear in the second case is decided from over 200 factors, some of which (in the map display) may be weighted towards location. As far as I'm aware, having a high number of reviews does not mean you will rank higher.

This video from Google is a full explanation and covers some of the possible reasons in more detail: 

I can’t find my business on Google

Beyond this, you're on the right track - exploring ways for your business to appear higher in the organic search results listings in Google is definitely moving into the realm of SEO. As @BrandonSchaefer mentioned, if you can provide more information, then someone from the community may be able to take a look and provide some advice or suggestions. If high rankings are a requirement for your business, it might be worth discussing your options with an SEO professional in your area.

I hope this answers your query and is of some help.

View solution in original post

Google Small Business Advisor
# 2
Google Small Business Advisor

What's the URL for your website and what town is the business located so that I can see where you currently rank on search and keywords, and then offer some helpful suggestions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm also interested in this. Im experiencing the same problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Gareth,

First of all make sure you have registered and integrated your website with google webmaster, it is a simple process and can be done here: webmasters.google.com

Secondly go to make sure your robots.txt is allowing search engines to index your website, you can find more help here: http://www.robotstxt.org/

After this go to google and search for site:yourdomain and see if your site shows up, I am sure you will find your website within 2 weeks.of completing step 1 and 2 if you have correctly followed them.

If your site shows up for site:yourdomain query but doesn't shows up for 'Bathroom Design Exeter' then you have issue with SEO and not indexing and crawling. If you want google to show up your site for that query make sure you are providing content of enough length, information and usefulness.

I hope this helps.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gareth p
August

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @David L and @Gareth P

This is not really a 'problem', but more of an example of how Google works (and there is a lot more to SEO than just alt tagging a few images Smiley Happy ).

This question has been answered in other forums and comes up a bit, but allow me to respond again here.

There are two possible cases:

1. If your business listing has been verified and you search for your exact business name or phone number, your listing should appear.

2. If you search for a business category or keywords related to your business - or category, location (for example 'bathroom Design Exeter') your business listing may not appear. How Google determines which businesses appear in the second case is decided from over 200 factors, some of which (in the map display) may be weighted towards location. As far as I'm aware, having a high number of reviews does not mean you will rank higher.

This video from Google is a full explanation and covers some of the possible reasons in more detail: 

I can’t find my business on Google

Beyond this, you're on the right track - exploring ways for your business to appear higher in the organic search results listings in Google is definitely moving into the realm of SEO. As @BrandonSchaefer mentioned, if you can provide more information, then someone from the community may be able to take a look and provide some advice or suggestions. If high rankings are a requirement for your business, it might be worth discussing your options with an SEO professional in your area.

I hope this answers your query and is of some help.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

You can apply good on site SEO principles to your Google My Business listing too. Before we even get started trying to answer your questions we should make sure that we are all on the same page in terms of how the results you are talking about are obtained. Many things affect the search results that you see every time you make a query. What browser are you using, are you signed into Google when doing the search regarding your business, what is your geographic location when doing the search, what is the geographic location of your business? These questions and more can make the search results you see specific to you. They may be based on your location when you make the search, the perceived intent of your query and many other things. To try to create a truly anonymous search result you have to perform the search after eliminating as many of these variables as you can.