Small Business
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Special Order Products - not a good idea?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've been getting pressure to create more products on our website, regardless if we have them available for purchase. I know that this isn't a good practice, because it's not a great customer experience to experience longer lead-times because we then have to source products, and then ship to the customer - but I am looking for a resource from Google on why this isn't a good policy to have. Is there any penalties that are given by having too many products out of stock?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erikaa
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Erikaa,

It would depend on the Google service you are involved in, and your specific website structure, polices, checkout system and more. If your website is clear that the product is special order and requires additional processing time, then it is fairly accepted for a website that is not utilizing Google Shopping Ads. And the Google Trusted Stores has it's specific requirements, too. Whatever Google service someone uses, they may have specific requirements that do not apply to someone that does not. 

Google Shopping Ads (Merchant) Policy

Google Shopping Ads (Merchant) Product Data

Google Trusted Stores

Of websites that do not use these Google services, many of them do offer out of stock items and the shopping cart/checkout system allows the items to be added and purchased. The ones that do it correctly (for lack of better word) make it really clear throughout the checkout process that the item is out of stock and requires additional processing time. Most modern shopping systems (Shopify, etc.) allow a product to be, by default, either not available or available for checkout when an item is out of stock.  

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erikaa
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Erikaa,

It would depend on the Google service you are involved in, and your specific website structure, polices, checkout system and more. If your website is clear that the product is special order and requires additional processing time, then it is fairly accepted for a website that is not utilizing Google Shopping Ads. And the Google Trusted Stores has it's specific requirements, too. Whatever Google service someone uses, they may have specific requirements that do not apply to someone that does not. 

Google Shopping Ads (Merchant) Policy

Google Shopping Ads (Merchant) Product Data

Google Trusted Stores

Of websites that do not use these Google services, many of them do offer out of stock items and the shopping cart/checkout system allows the items to be added and purchased. The ones that do it correctly (for lack of better word) make it really clear throughout the checkout process that the item is out of stock and requires additional processing time. Most modern shopping systems (Shopify, etc.) allow a product to be, by default, either not available or available for checkout when an item is out of stock.  

Kind Regards,

James