Small Business
6.9K members online now
6.9K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Review #1: How would you respond to this customer review?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Earlier this week we shared an example of a #smallbiz customer review and asked for your input on responding. Take a look at this example to see the best way to address a negative review.

review-reveal_Artboard 3 copy 2.png

Learn how your small business can make the most of customer reviews. http://goo.gl/Cq5iU7 

When it comes to responding to customer reviews, practice makes perfect. How would you, as the business owner, respond to this review? Leave your suggestions in the comments below.

2.png

6 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Review #1: How would you respond to this customer review?

Google Small Business Advisor
# 2

I would run with:

"Hey [their name], really sorry to hear this - it does not sound like our usual high standard of food and service, but we know are still not perfect! Most of all, we value all customer feedback and appreciate you taking the time to let us know as it helps us improve. 
Would you please email me direction at myname@company.com and I will personally look to resolve this situation ASAP?"

In terms of execution, when they email, I would actually look to get them on the phone and offer to a) refund their meal, and b) give a complimentary meal as well. People need to feel 'heard'.
Once they are happy, look to return to this thread on 'Google Reviews' and keep engagement visible so people can see that you are looking to resolve/make them happy. They may even change their original review, but you shouldn't ask.

# 3

We would say somethign like this: "Thank you for your feedback, Small Biz Customer. We always strive to provide top-notch customer service and to exceed customer expectations. it is apparent in this instance that we fell short. We would like to make it up to you. Would you be amenable to trying our service again at no charge to you? While we truly apologize for your experience, we learn from feedback such as yours and we want to show you that we can improve and "wow" you with a better experience. Please reach out to me directly and I will be happy to arrange a free next-visit."

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Great responses! I really like the idea of compensating the customer for the shortcomings in their experience. I've had numerous bad experiences with businesses (small and otherwise), but I can remember nearly every situation where the management was kind enough to comp my meal (for example) or offer a refund/replacement for a product. Knowing that a business cares enough about my customer experience to take that loss means a lot! Plus, even though it will cost you as a business owner, you can think of it as investing in a second chance to create a positive experience for a potentially loyal customer! 

# 5

Agree, Brielle.  I believe it's wise to 'make it right' - don't just say 'sorry', but really make it right by the customer.  That goes a long way.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I guess for this exercise we are assuming that the person leaving the review is telling the truth.  I say this because is not at all uncommon for people, for whatever reason, to leave negative or downright nasty reviews of a business that are not at all true.

If it's true I would respond to the comment expressing my apologies for their experience.  I would also probably offer them a free meal to make up for it and might offer to make sure I waited on them myself.

What you can do here as a business owner is not only make the upset customer feel better but also show other people who read the review that you do care about customer experience and you are willing to fix things when they go wrong.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Mr "Small Biz customer";

We are very sorry for this exceptional experience, our daily traffic have been increased by XX% during this summer season due to our competative service quality offered to our values customer.

I've booked a special dinner for you this weekend to apologize for what happened, Mr. XX will be ready to offer our free meal to you. please feel free to contact me at "Email" to confirm or reschdule your visit.

Thank you for your feedback.

Mr. XX XXXX

Job title : XXXX

Mob.:XXXX

Email:XXXX

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Dear Mr. XXXXX, we are extremely bummed to hear that we did not enjoy yourself when visiting our restaurant. We take customer service VERY serious and wish these type of nights never happen, ever! Unfortunately we had a super busy night and looks like we could have done better so if you can kindly shoot me a quick email I will definitely be getting back to you on this matter ASAP. We also thank you for bringing this to our attention and will do our best for this to happen the least possible in the future. 

Trevor

Owner at XXXXXX

Mobile - 514-555-5555

Trevor@XXXXX.COM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm really sorry for the expierence you had here. Stop by next time we will make it worthwile, what's your email address ill send you a complementary coupon for you and your family on the house!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

The issue is by saying that you will comp them a meal in the response is that other people will see the review and try to get a free meal by leaving a bad review themselves. I would leave out the meal comp until you had a more private conversation with them by email or telephone. Of course the point would be to comp them a free meal I would just limit the offing in the response.