Small Business
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Repurposing A Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A client of mine is looking to use year old blogs again and I recommended against doing that but am looking for a more technical answer as to why. If they are not duplicating content but simply changing the date on the blog to the present, is this positive, negative or neutral in the SEO algorithm's calculations?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adwords
March

Repurposing A Blog

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

It's terrible. It's not going to work. It's old, outdated content that is well known by Google Search. Changing the dates changes none of my points.

They can take the information and review, research and refresh and then rewrite and publish new.

Kind Regards,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adwords
March

Repurposing A Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Changing the date without making any change in content is senseless, IMHO. If the old content is evergreen, it can still show up in search if the content is good.  However if there is information in the old posts that are outdated, it would be useful to update that information.

If your client is just looking for a way to get people to see the old posts, another option is to take snippets or summarize a key point from each an post to social media with a link to read the original post. If your client has an email list they could also send out a newsletter periodically pointing to the older (and still valid) content.

Repurposing A Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It used to be that having a lot of blog posts were great for SEO. But now we are seeing it is more important to work on promoting the best post on your site. Check your analytics to see which page is getting the most traffic for that topic. Then remove the post that is not generating leads and focus on promoting the other post more. To promote the page more, add a video or contact form to get even more leads from your winning post!

Repurposing A Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't agree with Keira, or not completely. First, focusing only on the pages that get the most traffic today, or this week or this month, can be counterproductive. Google (and I presume other search engines) change their algorithms frequently, and what gets found today in search, may not get found tomorrow or next month.  Certainly you should promote the pages that get the most leads, but if other pages are related to the topic without covering  the same information why remove them if they provide valid information for your visitors.  

Say you sell some kind of brushes for cats.  Some customers might be interested your page about the best brushes to use on cats, some might be interested in your page on brushes to untangle fur on a long-hair cat, some might want information on whether using a brush on a cat will reduce shedding onto furniture, (LOL.. and having had a long-hair cat that didn't like to be brushed) some might want a page on gloves to use while brushing a cat so the cat can't claw or bite you. )  My point is that all those pages could produce leads and sales, will answer visitor questions, but might not all produce the same amount of traffic or leads.  There's no reason, IMHO to delete posts (or pages) just because they only get a little traffic IF they are information your customers will read.