6.4K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
favorite_border
Highlighted

Redoing my old website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a website for my wife's day spa around 12 years ago. www.annamariadayspa.com. Yes i know it looks 12 years old. My fear as been that I might lose all my existing seo work which has proved excellent until recently. We use to come up first in every search relevant to us. Now we are starting to slip. I have been told many things. Leave the old site. Build a new site with the exact same text than make changes when and if I return to the previous google ranks. Can someone advise on the best way to redo my site and minimize an seo disaster.

Thanks

Wayne 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Redoing my old website

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Wayne,

This website needs rework. Better go for a new site, which will be more attractive. For a spa industry the site is looking dull (sorry to say). Going for new site will be a little trouble but it will help you a lot.

Hope it helps.

Sudeep

Re: Redoing my old website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your response. Sorry if I was unclear. I am totally aware the
current website looks outdated. My question was the best way to build a new
site and minimize the potential seo fallout. The old site comes up very
well in the google rankings. I have been told to initially build a new site
with the exact same verbage to start so that google hopefully will not rank
me as a new site.
Thanks

Redoing my old website

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

A website is just a bunch of code so machines can talk to each other, a domain is where all that code exists. You are not changing your domain. You are just looking to change your Content Management System to something more user friendly, and easily updated. 

The best thing to do would be to find someone who specializes in one CMS (wordPress for example), and have them help you with the migration. Since you already have all the content, images, links, etc., they don't have to do any of that work. You just have to agree on a "theme", and they will make sure all the coding/re-directs are setup correctly. That will cost a lot less money than "building a new site" and you can find qualified individuals who specialize in this specific area. Then, over time, if you want to update the content, images, etc., you will have a much easier CMS/theme to work with. 

As long as you get all the coding handled correctly, it's still the same domain, and should have the same SEO attributes. If anything, updating to a more modern CMS will only help in that regard, as the domain will be more responsive to users.

Tom

Redoing my old website

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

To expand on @tomhalejr's comments - 

Be sure that your new developer is familiar with the requirements of the migration to minimise the impact from an SEO perspective. Most importantly, ensuring that the old content is properly 301 redirected to the new content. These redirects if done the right way tell Google and other search engines that 'website A' has now become 'website B'.

301-redirects.jpg

(image courtesy of Moz)

If everything is done properly with the new site, you will probably still notice a small 'bump' in rankings while Google re-indexes the site, but the end results and benefits from a new rebuild should ideally far outweigh what you currently have. This all scores points in the eyes of Google and can only help with rankings... to list just a few possible benefits of a new site:

- Cleaner, modern code

- A faster loading site 

- A mobile responsive site

- Improved design to encourage user engagement and drive conversions

Agreed - keep your existing domain name (this is where the authority lies) and initially aim to follow the current content and structure, keeping this similar to the current site for now. You can build on it/add to it later once you have some analytics data to guide future decisions.

If you need any more persuasion to update the site - check out this video from Google's Matt Cutts discussing how older sites won't always keep their rankings.

Redoing my old website

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

what were your keywords / phrase, were you or are you still listed with google my business, when you search for your keywords are you logged into google with your account, your site is not mobile responsive which is not very google friendly, so any other site offering the same content will get ranked higher if they are mobile friendly.

Redoing my old website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a great link to help you formulate a plan for yourself https://moz.com/blog/how-to-avoid-an-seo-disaster-when-changing-your-website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. Do u know where I can find some CAPABLE to do this?

Thanks
Wayne

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Micheal,
Any thoughts on cost to migrate the current site to a new design.

Thanks

Wayne

Redoing my old website

Google Small Business Advisor
# 10
Google Small Business Advisor

@Wayne S my advice it to definitely update it, but make sure you have someone that knows what they're doing in terms of SEO help you out.

Experts in the Topic
BrandonSchaefer