Small Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Pokémon go presents a highly legitimate opportunity for small businesses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pokemon "GO" has gone completely viral - they're about to surpass Twitter for daily active users (+150 MILLION). Oh, that's within 10 days of launch.

This insane growth has landed the app global attention....and where there's attention, there's opportunity to make money.

It was recently announced that you will be able to "sponsor locations" on a Pay Per Visit basis. You can read more about this update here: http://adage.com/article/digital/pokemon-s-ad-model-a-cost-visit-basis/304952/

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WEBRIS A
July 2016

Re: Pokémon go presents a highly legitimate opportunity for small businesses

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That stats are certainly impressive, @WEBRIS A. And it is an exciting opportunity for businesses and advertisers, alike. Lures, Gyms and PokeStops can be a fun way to engage the gamers and fill a parking lot and business with activity. 

What's even more incredible is just how affordable luring is. Let's do the math. With $100 netting you 14,500 Pokecoins and an eight-pack of Lures costing 680 Pokecoins:

14,500 Pokecoins / 680 = 21 eight-packs of lures
(21 * 8)/2 = 84 hours
$100/84 hours = $1.19 per hour

For those interested, these are some interesting and helpful resources to enjoy, too. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
July 2016

Google Small Business Advisor
# 3

@WEBRIS A and @James_Clemens - As I have 3 kids that are going crazy over this... I do see massive amounts of opportunity for local businesses to make money from it. 

I'll tell you one thing though... my cell phone data has exploded because my kids are constantly out of the WiFi area playing! Great for the cell phone companies, but not so great for parents that pay the bills.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That stats are certainly impressive, @WEBRIS A. And it is an exciting opportunity for businesses and advertisers, alike. Lures, Gyms and PokeStops can be a fun way to engage the gamers and fill a parking lot and business with activity. 

What's even more incredible is just how affordable luring is. Let's do the math. With $100 netting you 14,500 Pokecoins and an eight-pack of Lures costing 680 Pokecoins:

14,500 Pokecoins / 680 = 21 eight-packs of lures
(21 * 8)/2 = 84 hours
$100/84 hours = $1.19 per hour

For those interested, these are some interesting and helpful resources to enjoy, too. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
July 2016

# 3

@WEBRIS A and @James_Clemens - As I have 3 kids that are going crazy over this... I do see massive amounts of opportunity for local businesses to make money from it. 

I'll tell you one thing though... my cell phone data has exploded because my kids are constantly out of the WiFi area playing! Great for the cell phone companies, but not so great for parents that pay the bills.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

I definitely agree! I wish more of my own local small businesses were taking advantage of the fact that they are or are nearby popular Pokestops. Just down my street, there are Pokestops at a tabletop gaming store, the site of an old comic book store, a sushi bar and a frozen yogurt chain. These spots are constantly lured, with multiple lures overlapping, so it's a hugely popular place for people to hang out, socialize and catch Pokemon.

I did notice that the frozen yogurt place is getting a ton more business, well after their normally popular hours, but they haven't done anything special. The tabletop gaming store, however, has designated itself a "Pokecenter" and offers cheap bottled water, seating inside the store in their regular gaming areas and free device charging! They've even created their own event, "Three Lure Thursday," where they use Pokemon lures on three of the Pokestops that are within reach from their shop. A cheap and easy way to incentivize people to check out the store! Love it!

I've seen many similar promotions being shared online, like a pizza shop offering free drinks/slices based on your Trainer Level and another local business hosting a catching event where the strongest Pokemon caught at their Pokestop wins a prize! Even if your business is not a Pokestop, there are definitely opportunities to take advantage of the craze. I'm not a small business owner, but I'm thinking of setting up a "rest area" of sorts at one of my nearby stops, offering bottled water and charging from one of my portable devices. Your small business could probably do the same!

(Also, as an aside @BrandonSchaefer, check this out: How to Stop Your Data Usage from Getting Out of Control)

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
I would suggest that this is really not anything that new or hard to understand. Pokémon go is built on Google maps and that in itself is a sort of augmented reality with turn by turn directions and Google my business listings already showing up. Or consider the Waze app which is built on Google maps but allows more user interaction with the platform and each other so is a slightly better example of augmented reality perhaps. Waze has already started offering businesses the opportunity to advertise/promote their local business on the Waze platform . Pokémon go is perhaps the first successful augmented reality game and it is interesting to see business advertising and promotion, especially for small business, on the game.