Small Business
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

Online Content: More Than Just Words

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

It is easy to be daunted by the task of creating content for your business website. This is especially true when you attempt to develop some kind of ongoing content strategy. Everything you see on the subject focuses on written content but for many small businesses there is only so much you can really write about that anyone is going to read. 

For example, if you own a property maintenance business in a smallish town with just enough competition to make it worthwhile to show up first online cranking out a 1,000 word article every week about lawn mowing may just not be possible for you. Does this mean that you have to miss out on the benefits of posting new, user friendly content to your site on a regular basis? No, it just means that you have to think outside the box of written content.

Now that the web (Google) has realized the value of social signals such as likes and shares I think it is safe to say that images and video are also content of value to you as a website owner. For example, you could post images of your crew hard at work every week to the blog on your website and then share the images from your site across your social networks. 

If you make sure to describe the images accurately on the page and in the meta tags associated with each image and your robots txt file does not block Googlebot from seeing images on your site then those images will show up in search results for related queries in your area. Accurately described videos will do the same for you. This can be in addition to written content or potentially in lieu of it. 

Social networks love images and video so such a strategy really fite right in with a good marketing plan online. I will have more to say on the many ways to utilize images and video in the future. For now just remember that online content is more than just words!

1 Expert replyverified_user