Small Business
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
We're talking about all things marketing; learn how to put the web to work for your business, and find information about all aspects of marketing your business here.
Guide Me
star_border

My business website shows that registration is required to view content, but it is not

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not sure I'm even in the right place but I run an online newspaper and whenever our business pops up on google alerts for example it says in brackets (registration) which I have been informed means readers must register to our website before accessing our content- this is incorrect.

How do I go about fixing this?

Many thanks,

Khiara

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My business website shows that registration is required to view content, but it is not

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Welcome to the community, @Khiara E! I've moved your question to a new discussion, as we ask that our users create new discussions when asking questions or discussing a topic. I'm sure that @Noah P (or another one of our Advisors) is happy to help you out! If you could provide a little more information, it would definitely help them out. Where is your website hosted? Did you build it using a site builder or a platform such as WordPress?

My business website shows that registration is required to view content, but it is not

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Brielle_B!

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Yes, we created it via WordPress and it is hosted in the U.S.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Brielle,

Can anyone provide an answer for me on this one??????

Google Small Business Advisor
# 5

Hi, Khiara,

I'm Ray Sidney-Smith, one of the Google Small Business Advisors here in the Google Small Business community. Good to meet you.

It sounds like you're having an issue with your WordPress website.

How is your WordPress installation hosted (Managed WordPress, Self-Hosted WordPress, or other)?

If so, you'll need to log into the WordPress installation as an administrator and determine how the plugin and/or the General settings are set for this content behind a paywall. 

Do you have Web developer who created this site for you? He or she should be able to turn this off pretty easily.

If you don't have one, I'm sure we can find you someone who can help.

Best,

Ray S.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ray,

Thank you very much for getting back to me, it had been a while since I had heard anything so I appreciate it!

It's self-hosted, however it is our understanding that there is no paywall. Users do not have to register, at any point, to access our content. It simply says (registration) next to our name when we come up under Google Alerts.

We do not have a web developer, so somebody to assist would be of great help! While they are at it, is there a way to change the name from 'CDB News' to 'CBD News'- something must have got lost in translation.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Khiara E.

# 7

Hi, Khiara,

This is a guess, but if it's via Google Alerts, perhaps the difference is your RSS feed in your self-hosted WordPress has been altered somehow by a plugin. I would reach out to a service such as www.codeable.io (no affiliation) and they can help you turn off the RSS paywall and the name change.

Best,

Ray S.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for all your help. I have passed this all onto my publisher and he is going to investigate further.

I will contact you if any further assistance is needed, but thank you once again!

Khiara E.